Terry G. Smith, ALS Program Manager
ALS Program Office
Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
2075 Bayview Avenue
Why choose Sunnybrook
We are proud of our ACLS, PALS and ATLS programs and we strongly believe we provide the very best in continuing medical education.
We're leaders in education:
- We have received numerous academic awards for teaching excellence.
- For ACLS and PALS we are recognized by the Heart & Stroke Foundation as a model for others to follow. Our medical director is Chair of the Heart & Stroke Foundation of Ontario's ACLS Advisory Committee. ACLS and PALS certification is recognized world-wide.
- For ATLS, we provide all courses under the governing body American College of Surgeons, and ATLS certification is recognized world-wide.
- We have used simulators in all courses since the program began over 17 years ago.
Our faculty and courses meet the highest standards:
- 100 per cent of our course instructors and directors are fully certified in ACLS, PALS and ATLS including physicians, registered nurses, paramedics and physician assistants. We are very proud of our interdisciplinary approach to team training and provision of cardiac arrest care that we started a decade ago.
- Course directors must go through series of steps to attain this position, including the instruction of a minimum 15 to 20 courses and above average evaluations before being considered as a director.
- A medical director is present at all courses.
We're constantly improving:
- We regularly purchase new equipment to offer the very best education during our practical sessions.
- Our instruction faculty is monitored regularly and teaching methods, use of simulators and how to improve their interpersonal skills.
- 100 per cent of our growing faculty has been fully updated to the new Guidelines.
Benefits for students:
- Instructor to participant ratio is one to six for ACLS and PALS, and one to four for ATLS.
- We provide catered meals at all our courses, including the full weekend and shorter recertification courses.
- For participants who live in the west end of Toronto, or further west or north-west of the city, we are happy to provide ACLS, PALS and ATLS at our Humber College (North Campus) site, which features free and easy parking and instruction with our Sunnybrook faculty in our four simulation wards.
- Courses are eligible for the standard financial supports as provided by the University of Toronto medical education department for its postgraduate trainees.