Beanie-Veggie frittata with feta cheese
Be adventurous and add more of your favourite vegetables, such as cherry tomatoes, jalapeño pepper, leeks or mushrooms!
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 tbsp olive oil
- 1⁄2 red onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 red pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 green pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium-sized bowl whisk eggs until combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Sauté red onions and peppers in olive oil over a medium-high heat using an oven-proof skillet until vegetables are crisp but tender (3-4 minutes). Add garlic and sauté for an additional minute.
- Add black beans and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Set the oven broiler to high heat.
- Add the egg to the vegetable and legume mixture in the skillet; let the bottom of the frittata cook for 1 to 2 minutes; add feta cheese.
- Transfer skillet to oven broiler and cook until eggs are just set, about 2 to 3 minutes. To check to see if the eggs are cooked lift the edges of the frittata with a spatula; if the bottom is golden brown and the egg is set (not wobbling), it is cooked.
- Sprinkle on basil and serve in pizza-style slices.