Your visit to the Pre-anesthesia Clinic will help prepare you for your surgery. Your visit may take from 1 to 4 hours, depending on your medical history.
If you can not attend your appointment please call your surgeon's office. If possible, a new appointment will be arranged. You were asked to complete a questionnaire when you were being told about the surgery. This is important because a nurse in the pre-admission clinic will need this information to determine what kind of appointment you will need.
If you do not read or speak english, you must bring a translator with you. Please bring only ONE person.
Please bring with you:
- Your Ontario health card
- Your Sunnybrook card
- Identification showing your date of birth and address
- Your WSIB claim number, if you have one
- Additional insurance, if you have it
- The name and telephone number of your family doctor
- The names and telephone numbers of any specialists you have
- ALL of your medications in their original containers. These include pills, inhalers or puffers, injections, and eye drops. Also bring any herbal medicines or vitamins you take.
- All herbal medications must be stopped two weeks before your surgery. They can cause problems during your surgery.
Eat, drink, and take ALL of your regular medications on the day of your clinic appointment.
You will be seen by a nurse who will talk to you about your health and any special needs you have. At this visit you may have tests done like blood work and a cardiogram. More tests may be ordered by the doctor. Please wear comfortable clothing. The nurse will give you information on:
- Your surgical date
- Where to check in
- How to get ready for surgery
- Care given before surgery
- Care given after your surgery
- How to manage your pain after surgery
- Planning for your discharge
Please note - this assessment may take place by telephone.
An anesthesiologist may assess your health to see if you are fit for surgery. The doctor will talk to you about the kind of medication you will need during surgery to keep you comfortable.
A pharmacist may review your medications with you. The pharmacist assesses which medications should be continued prior to surgery and whether you have to stop any of your medications. For this reason, it is very important that you bring all of your medications, including inhalers, injections, eye drops, patches, medicated creams/ointments, vitamins and other over-the-counter medications with you.
Non-residents of Canada
If you are a non-resident (visitor to Canada) financial arrangements must be made with the Patient Accounts office prior to your surgery date
Please note that although everything possible will be done to prepare you for your surgery, surgical times are guidelines only. Delays are common. Sometimes, scheduled surgery cases are cancelled because there is someone else who needs emergency surgery, or there is no post-operative bed available. If this happens to you, you will be contacted by your surgeon's office to have your surgery rescheduled as soon as possible.
Location and contact
Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
2075 Bayview Avenue
M-wing, ground floor,
room 502 (MG 502)
Toronto, ON M4N 3M5
Please be on time for your appointment.
Garage parking is recommended. Valet parking is available.