If you or your family member are part of the Family Health Team and are admitted to a hospital, please let us know.
The following lists the grants held by members of the Primary Care Research Unit.
Jaakkimainen, R.L. (PI), Barnsley, J., Bronskill, S.E., Butt, D.A., Del Giudice, L., Durbin, J., Glazier, R.H., Ivers, N.M., Keller, E., Leaver, C.A., Tepper, J.D., Tu, K., Upshur, R.E.G. Measuring wait times along the pathways of care in primary care. Canadian Institutes of Health Research, Operating Grant, $448,802, 2013-2016.
Lunskym Y.J., Carlucci, R., Gonzales, A.N., Neitzert, M.C., Balogh, R.S., Cobigo, V., Isaaces, B.J., Lin, E., Ouellette-Kuntz, H (Co-PI). Barry, K., Blugerman, T., Casson, R.I., Farrell, S.J., Morris, S., O'Shea, M.A., Paprica, A., Southiere, AM., Stemp, S., Sullivan, W.F., Weisberg, S., Barnsley, J., Bullock, H.L., Durbin, J., Jaakkimainen, R.L., Martin, L., Weiss, J.A. Health Care Access Research in Developmental Disabilities. Canadian Institutes for Health Research, Partnerships for Health System Improvement (PHSI), $600,000, 2013-2016.
Tu, K. (PI), Leaver, C.A., Barnsley, J., Butt, D.A., Glazier, R.H., Hemmelgarn, B.R., Ivers, N.M., Jaakkimainen, R.L., Lau, F., Thorpe, K.E. Do EMRs in Primary care Improve Care and outcomes? (EPIC). Canadian Institutes of Health Research, Operating Grant, $100,000, 2013-2014.
Einstein, G (PI), Tierney, M.C . Neuropsychological Functioning of Women with Prophylactic Oophorectomy. Canadian Institutes of Health Research Operating Grant, $393,143, 2013-1017.
Einstein, G (PI), Tierney, M.C. Cognition and estrogen deprivation in BRCA women with prophylactic oophorectomy. Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation, $371,897, 2013-2016.
Bombardier, C., Jaakkimainen, R.L (Co-PI), Ahlywalia, V., Bernatsky, S.R., Ivers, N.M., Paterson, M., Thorne, C.J., Tomlinson, G.A., Tu, K. Creating an information system from a Primary Care Electronic Medical Record Administrative data Linked Database to improve Rheumatoid Arthritis Surveillance and Quality of Care. Canadian Institutes of Health Research, Operating Grant, $337,240, 2012-2015.
Lipscombe, L. (PI), Austin, P.C., Hux, J.E., Jaakkimainen, R.L., Kryzanowska, M.K., Paszat, L.F., Rochon, P.A., Tinmouth, J.M. The Influences of Diabetes on Cancer Screening and Prognosis. Canadian Institutes of Health Research, Operating Grant, $215,140, 2012-2015.
Durbin, J., Barnsley, J (Co-PI), Berta, W.B., George, L., Jaakkimainen, R.L., Lin, E., McMurray, D.J. Informational Continuity between Primary Health Care and Mental Health Care. Canadian Institutes of Health Research, Planning Grants - Priority Announcement: Health Services and Policy Research, $21,549, 2011-2012.
Tu, K. (PI), Ivers, N.M., Jaakkimainen, R.L., Tu, J.V., Zwarenstein, M.F. Feedback GAP: a trial of Goal-setting and Action-Plans to increase the effectiveness of audit and feedback interventions in primary care. Canadian Institutes of Health Research, Operating Grant, $151,954, 2011-2012.
Bartlett-Esquilant, G (PI), Ahmed S, Chan D, Costea I, Dawes M, Grad R, Jaakkimainen L, MacGibbon B, Pluye P, Rodriguez R, Tannenbaum C. Empowering patients: Making the personal health record accessible and relevant for primary care. Canadian Institutes of Health Research, Catalyst Grant - Primary and Community-based Healthcare, $99,995, 03/2010-02/2011.
Jaakkimainen L (PI), Glazier RH, Barnsley JM, Tu K. Using an existing electronic medical record (EMR) to determine wait times from Primary Care. Canadian Institutes of Health Research, Catalyst Grant - Primary and Community-Based Health Care. $99,981, 03/2010-02/2011.
Lunsky, Y.J., Sullivan, W.F., Balogh, R.S., Issaces, B.J., Lin, E, Ouellette-Kuntz, H. (Co-PIs), Barry, K., Neitzert, M.C., O'Shea, M.A., Barnslet, J., Jaakkimainen, R.L. Indicators of Primary Care Provided to Persons with Developmental Disabilities in Ontario. Canadian Institutes of Health Research, Partnerships for Health Systems Improvement (PHSI), $346, 533, 2010-2013.
Tu, K., Jaakkimainen, L. (Co-PIs) M.C. Tierney . Validation of Administrative Data Algorithms to determine Population Prevalence and Incidence of Alzheimer's Disease, Dementia, Multiple Sclerosis, Epilepsy and Parkinson's Disease. Public Health Agency of Canada, $599,677.00, 2010-2013.
Tierney, MC (PI), Charles J, Naglie G. Jaakkimainen L, Moineddin, R. Upshur REG, Shulman, K Alzheimer Society of Canada. Computerized cognitive testing of older adults in primary care, $110,000, 2010-2012.
Nickell LA, Tracy S, Upshur R, Charles J, Del Guidice L, Zwarenstein M, Bajcar J. Interprofessional Model of Practice for Aging and Complex Treatments (IMPACT PLUS). HealthForceOntario Interprofessional Care/Education Fund, Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care. $475,000, 2009-2010.
Urbach, D.R. (PI), Baxter, N.N., Del Guidace, L.M., Moineddin, R., Sutradhar, R. The effect of screening colonoscopy use by primary care physicians on colorectal cancer incidence and mortality. Canadian Institutes of Health Research, Operating Grant - Priority Announcement (IHSPR), $84, 598, 2009-2010.
Baxter NN, Del Giudice L, Paszat L, Rabeneck L, Sutradhar R, Urbach D. The young adult survivors of cancer study. CIHR Operating Grant. $577,989, 2008-2011.
Glazier R (PI), Barnsley J, Guttmann A, Hogg W, Jaakkimainen L, Manuel D, Rhodes A, Schull, Steele L, Stewart M, Stuken T, Thind A, Tu K, Upshur REG, Zwarenstein M. Examining the impact of primary care reform in Ontario on access to and quality of care.
Canadian Institutes of Health Research, Operating Grant. (#177411). $716,724, 2008-2012.
Jaakkimainen, L. After the SARS epidemic: How would a major infectious disease affect community based family physicians in the Greater Toronto Area? Canadian College of Physicians Janus Research Grant. $10,430, Aug. 2008 - Dec. 2009.
Jaakkimainen, L., Del Guidice, L. Primary care and cancer: A quantitative analysis using administrative data. Ontario College of Family Physicians Research Grant. $4,983 July 2008 - June 2009.
Nickell LA, Charles J, Del Giudice L, Tracy CS, Upshur REG, Zwarenstein M, Bajcar J. Project IMPACT: Interprofessional Model of Practice for Aging and Complex Treatments. Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care, $250,038, 2008-2009.
Shah B (PI), Jaakkimainen L. Evaluating an intervention to share type 2 diabetes care between family physicians and specialities. Banting and Best Diabetes Centre (BBDC) Research Grant, $19,965, 07/2008-06/2009.
Tierney, M.C. (PI). Hot flashes, estrogen, cognition and mood. Women's Health Summer Experience Award. Women's College Research Institute, $10,000.
Tierney, M.C. (PI). Longitudinal assessment of participants of the Sunnybrook Memory Study. Canada Summer Jobs, $4,200,
Bierman A (PI), Abramson B, Angus J, Anderson, Bayoumi, GA,Booth G, Dunn J, Dunn A, Dusek J, Ferris L, Hawker G, Glazier R, Jaakkimainen L, Khanlou N, Krzyzanowski M, Lin D, McDonald L, Manuel D, Moineddin R, Rabeneck L, Rhodes A, Rochon P, Stewart D, Stukel, S. Project for an Ontario Women's Health Report Card (POWER): Improving health and promoting equity for the women of Ontario. Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care - Ontario Women's Health Initiative, $4,289,300, 03/2006 - 06/2009.
Grunfeld, E, Levine M, Julian J, Maunsell E, Beaulieu MD, Coyle D, Sussman J, Del Giudice L, et. al. National Cancer Institute of Cancer/Canadian Breast Cancer Research Alliance. Randomized trial of a patient-centred strategy to facilitate transition of breast cancer survivors' routine follow-up from specialist to primary care. $740,662, 2006-2010.
Tierney, M.C. (PI), MacLusky, N., Snow, G., Iazzetta, J., Oh, P., Greenblatt, E. Special partnership grant from the Institute of Neurosciences, Mental Health and Addiction (Canadian Institutes of Health Research) $100,000, 2004-2007.
Tierney, M.C. & Cott, C. Understanding risk and harm prevention from the perspective of cognitively impaired older persons. Alzheimer Society of Canada. $61,006, 2004-2007.
- Tierney, M.C. (PI), Naglie, G., Jaglal, S., Charles, J., Szalai, J.P., Cott, C., Oandasan, I., Lee, J. Canadian. Further development and validation of prospective risk factor models for harm in cognitively impaired older people who live alone Institutes of Health Research, $587, 080, 2003-2007.
- Barnsley J, & Jaakkimainen L. Primary care performance measurement project. Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care. $145,000 (1 year), 2003.
- Jaglal S, & Jaakkimainen L. An interdisciplinary model for improving the management of osteoporosis in the community: a pilot study. Canadian Institutes of Health Research, $49,984, 2003.
- Jaakkimainen L, Mamdani M, Tu K, Naglie, & Upshur R. Would Communication Improve Prescribing For Seniors? Canadian Health Services Research Foundation. $66,910, 2002-2003.
- Jaakkimainen L, & Upshur R. Concordance of health care provider and patient views in the management of anticoagulation. Canadian College of Family Physicians.
- Jaakkimainen L, & Upshur R. Pharmacy continuity of care: Would communication improve prescribing for seniors? Canadian Health Services Research Foundation. $66,910, 2002.
- Jaglal S, & Jaakkimainen L. Integrated post-fracture care. Ontario Women's Health Council, $189,636, 2002.
- Elman D. The effectiveness of unannounced standardized patients in the clinical setting as a teaching tool. ACMC/MRC Committee on Research in Medical Education. $17,925.
- Griever M, Drummond N, & White D (for Nortren). Development of a program for hand-held computers to support the office-based management of chest pain. Bales Foundation Research Grant. $5,000, 2001.
- Edelist G, & Tierney MC. Physicians' Services Incorporated Foundation. $133,000, 1998-2000.
- Jaakkimainen L. Process and outcomes in primary care practice: The Ontario Quebec Study. Medical Research Council of Canada. $115,000, 1999.
- Jaakkimainen L. The Varicella Vaccine: A survey of family physicians and pediatricians in Ontario. Physicians Services Incorporated (PSI) Grant. $4,600, 1999.
- McDowell I, & Tierney MC. Understanding cognitive decline: patterns and prognosis - A final follow-up to the CSHA. In total there are over 20 co-investigators with varying degrees of involvement. Canadian Institutes of Health Research (MRC). $3,502,324, 2000-2003. (M.C. Tierney, Site investigator for the Toronto site, $129,306)
- Tierney MC, Charles J, Jaglal S, Szalai JP, Fisher R, & Snow G. Prediction of harm in cognitively impaired people. Alzheimer's Association (RGI-96-034), $81,620 (US), 1997-1999.
- Tierney MC, Charles J, Jaglal S, & Szalai JP. The prediction of significant harm in cognitively impaired people who live alone. Medical Research Council of Canada. $127,014, 1997-1999 (award declined).
- Tierney MC, Hilditch J, Szalai J, MacLusky N, Snow G, Oh P, & Greenblatt E. Estrogen trial to delay the onset of Alzheimer's disease. Medical Research Council of Canada (MT-15222). $617,447, 1998-2003.
- Tierney MC, Wong B, McLean R, Oxorn D, & Szalai J. Fat embolism and cognitive impairment after major joint replacement.
- Tierney MC. Understanding cognitive decline: patterns and prognosis - A final follow-up to the CSHA. Site Investigator for the Toronto site of this national study. $129,306 (for the Toronto site), 2000 - 2001.
- Upshur R, Drummond N, Mamdani, M, Manson J, Townsend C, Marshall J, Arnold I, & Jaakkimainen L. Qualitative Study of Perceptions of Anticoagulation. A Concordance Study of Patients, Nurses and Physicians. SAMCOR Trust. $7,000, 2000-2002.
- Upshur R, Mamdani M, & Jaakkimainen L. Effects of socioeconomic status on mortality and health services utilization after initial admission for community acquired pneumonia in the elderly. Part of an Integrated Health Research Team led by Mark Loeb. Canadian Institutes of Health Research. $68,000, 2001-2004.
- Upshur R, Mamdani M, & Jaakkimainen L. Respiratory Infections in Older Adults: An Interdisciplinary Approach. Part of Integrated Health Research Team (led by Mark Loeb): Effects of Socioeconomic Status on Mortality & Health Services Utilization After Initial Admission for Community Acquire Pneumonia in the Elderly. $68,000, 2001-2006.