Falls Prevention Program
Live with confidence
As our age increases, so does our risk of falling. A fall can lead to broken bones, muscle damage and serious wounds. St. John's Rehab's Falls Prevention Program helps seniors reduce their risk of falls through education, home modifications, and exercise.
What services does the program include?
In-Home Safety Assessment: Assessments are conducted by a licensed therapist and include:
- Functional task demonstrations in your home
- Education on in-home safety
- Recommendations for assistive devices, home modifications and other community resources
Medication Assessment: Assessments and recommendations are conducted by a licensed Pharmacist who will educate you on the proper use of your medications and prescriptions. Learn about the affects of different medications and how aging and disease can impact how you manage your medications.
Group Exercise and Education: A six-week program in an accredited hospital setting that combines exercise and education so you can maintain a healthy and safe lifestyle. Exercises focus on improving your range of motion, strength and balance. Understand the importance of exercise, discover the benefits of proper nutrition, and learn about safety inside and outside the home with our detailed education sessions.
Who can participate in the Falls Prevention Program?
- Be 65 years of age or older
- Be medically stable
- Be cognitively alert, oriented and able to follow instructions
- Have family / caregivers available to attend assessment if there are language barriers or other communication difficulties
- Build your confidence in your ability to perform daily activities inside and outside your home
- Help reduce the risk of injury due to falling
- Regain your independence
- Promote stronger muscles and bones
- Improve your posture, balance and flexibility
- Be aware of the risk factors inside and outside the home that contribute to falls
- Improve your awareness of medication factors that increase your risk of a fall
How do I join?
If you would like to join our program, print and complete the form below:
Falls Prevention application form (56kb pdf)
Your referral form must be signed by your doctor. Completed forms can be faxed to 416-226-3358, mailed or dropped off at the Outpatient Office located on the main floor of the Horsfall Eaton Wing, Monday - Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.
Our falls prevention program patients
April 2014 - March 2015
- Outpatient visits: 2,776
Location and contact
Falls Prevention Program
St. John's Rehab
285 Cummer Avenue,
Toronto, ON M2M 2G1
For referring organizations:
If you would like copies of our brochures for you and your patients, please fill out our Printed Material Request Form.