Technology enabled learning
Sunnybrook is committed to using modern technology to enhance the learning process. This includes:
- Simulation: The Canadian Simulation Centre for Human Performance and Crisis Management Training at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre uses advanced medical simulation technology to train various health care professionals and students. The Simulation Centre is the ideal place to learn crisis resource management, management of critical incidents such as cardiac arrest, pharmacology, routine/difficult airway management, orientation to the operating room, patient assessment, arrhythmia recognition and much more.
- Wireless network: Sunnybrook has a secure, easily managed Wi-Fi network with complete coverage across Bayview and Holland campuses, and limited Wi-Fi in select areas of St. John's. This wireless foundation can reliably support future expansions and new healthcare technologies. It also allows students, staff, patients and visitors access to the Internet from any device, anywhere in the hospital.
- Sunnybrook.ca: Sunnybrook's official website is where you will find valuable information about programs and services and current healthcare updates and reliable expertise in various multimedia formats. The education related content is currently being expanded and re-organized.
- Sunnynet.ca: While in hospital, all students and staff have access to the Sunnybrook Intranet site at sunnynet.ca which has current information and tools including updates on work conditions, service request links, policies, staff discount pages, shuttle bus and cafeteria schedules, etc.
- Education blog: Connect with other students and join the conversation. educationblog.sunnybrook.ca
Cell phones and wireless communications devices
The use of cell phones can be disruptive and even unsafe in certain situations. Read our full policy on these devices.
Social media policy
There are a few basic things you should keep in mind when using social media:
- Do not disclose personal health information. Patient confidentiality is key!
- Students should avoid using social media to provide medical advice. If you are contacted via social media sites regarding medical advice, you are encouraged to advise those parties to seek official channels of communication from the Hospital's website.
- Sunnybrook strongly discourages "friending" of patients on social media websites.
- If you receive press or media contact regarding the content of your site or social media profile which relates to Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, consult Communications and Stakeholder Relations at 416.480.4040.
- Use good judgment: If you identify your affiliation with Sunnybrook, your social media activities should be consistent with our high standards of professional conduct. Remember: even if you don't explicitly state that you work at Sunnybrook, others may easily draw the connection, so it's always a good idea to be professional and use good judgment.
- Sunnybrook name and logo: Your social media username, URL and handle should not contain the Sunnybrook name, and your profi le picture should not contain the Sunnybrook logo. You may mention your affi liation with Sunnybrook in your bio.
Sunnybrook has established guidelines for the use of social media sites to protect the privacy and confi dentiality of our patients and stakeholders and to safeguard the organization's reputation. Sunnybrook uses social media and monitors mentions of the organization on the web (for example, postings on Twitter, blogs and message boards) to engage members of the community as well as identify and mitigate risk issues, privacy breaches, and other activity contrary to the social media guidelines. Students found to be acting in a manner online that is inconsistent with the guidelines of this policy (or with other Hospital policies) may be subject to disciplinary action, which could include termination of employment or affi liation with Sunnybrook and in more serious cases, the Hospital may pursue legal action as appropriate.
Access on breaks
Make sure that your use of social media does not interfere with your work commitments.
The web communications team uses social media to engage online communities through our official accounts, including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and LinkedIn. Feel free to follow our official accounts. We appreciate retweets and likes!