High school students
High school students are an integral part of our volunteer program. Opportunities are available in the summer and through the school year for those 16 years and older.
Summer Student Volunteer Program 2013
- Full summer 9 week program - July 2 to September 2, 2013
- Commitment: half-day shift 5 days a week, Monday through Friday
- Very limited weekend placements
- Post-Secondary Students are welcome to apply to our General Volunteer Program and/or the Summer Student Program. Simply indicate your availability on our application forms.
- Register Early!
School year program 2012/2013
- We have reached our maximum capacity for this school year.
- Weekly shift after school or on weekends through the school year (September to June)
What you need to know
Volunteering at Sunnybrook entails making a commitment. Before applying to volunteer, please consider the following to ensure you understand the role and requirements of volunteers.
» Show / hide the full list of requirements
- Your time commitment will depend on whether you volunteer during the summer or school year.
- Not all applicants are accepted into our program. Volunteers are placed according to the needs of the hospital; interests and skills; availability; and suitability.
- We will contact you ONLY if you are selected for an interview. We will keep your application on file for six months.
- Volunteer roles enhance the patient experience. Volunteers do not observe medical procedures.
- If accepted, you must participate in orientation and training.
What we're looking for:
- Our priority is to ensure a positive experience and great "customer service" for patients and visitors.
- Volunteers must have:
√ excellent interpersonal and communication skills,
√ fluency in oral and written English
How to apply to our summer student program
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted within 3-4 weeks of receiving completed application packages - including the application form, 2 reference forms, and resume. Applications are kept on file for six months.
- Download and complete the following forms:
- Include a copy of your resume with your application form
- Completed applications and references can be sent to:
Application (159 kb pdf file. Opens in new window) - Complete fully
Two reference forms (89 kb pdf file. Opens in new window) - References should know you for a minimum of one year and cannot be friends/family members. Suggested referees include teachers, coaches, or employers.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org using subject line VR-4129
Volunteer Resources Room E103
Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
2075 Bayview Ave
Toronto, ON M4N 3M5