High school students
High school students are an integral part of our volunteer program. Opportunities are available in the summer and through the school year for those 16 years and older.
Volunteer applications are accepted on an ongoing basis, however, please note that our School Year program 2013-14 is now full.
Recruitment for our 2014 Summer Program will begin in February 2014.
Summer Student Volunteer Program
- Recruitment for our 2014 Summer Program will begin in February 2014.
- Full summer 9 week program
- Commitment: half-day shift 5 days a week, Monday through Friday
- Very limited weekend placements
- Post-Secondary Students are welcome to apply to our General Volunteer Program and/or the Summer Student Program. Simply indicate your availability on our application forms.
School year program 2013-2014
- Our School Year program 2013-14 is now full.
- One weekly shift after school or on weekends throughout the school year (September 2, 2013 to June 30, 2014)
What you need to know
Volunteering at Sunnybrook entails making a commitment. Before applying to volunteer, please consider the following to ensure you understand the role and requirements of volunteers.
» Show / hide the full list of requirements
- Your time commitment will depend on whether you volunteer during the summer or school year.
- Not all applicants are accepted into our program. Volunteers are placed according to the needs of the hospital; interests and skills; availability; and suitability.
- We will contact you ONLY if you are selected for an interview. We will keep your application on file for six months.
- Volunteer roles enhance the patient experience. Volunteers do not observe medical procedures.
- If accepted, you must participate in orientation and training.
What we're looking for:
- Our priority is to ensure a positive experience and great "customer service" for patients and visitors.
- Volunteers must have:
√ excellent interpersonal and communication skills,
√ fluency in oral and written English
How to apply to our student program
Not all applicants will be selected for an interview. Only completed application packages (application form and two reference forms submitted together) will be accepted. Application packages are kept on file for six months. Apply early, as our program fills quickly!
- Download and complete the following forms:
- Include a copy of your resume with your application form
- Completed application packages can be sent to:
Application - Complete fully
Two reference forms - Referees should return reference forms to the applicant for submission as a complete application package. References submitted to Volunteer Resources separately will not be accepted.
Email: email@example.com using subject line VR-4129
Volunteer Resources Room E103
Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
2075 Bayview Ave
Toronto, ON M4N 3M5