Students are an integral part of our volunteer program.
Where can I volunteer:
Volunteer opportunities for students are available during the summer from May to August and during the School year from Sept. to June across all areas of the hospital. Minimum age requirement for Bayview and Holland sites is 16 years and older; for St. John's Rehab, 14 years and older.
- Bayview Site:
- Main hospital: inpatient and outpatient areas in acute care
- Veterans Centre: long-term care residence
- Odette Cancer Centre: regional outpatient cancer treatment facility
- Holland Orthopaedic & Arthritic Centre
- Yonge & Wellesley site
- St. John's Rehab
- inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation care
Summer Program: Opportunities are offered from May to August
School Year Program: Opportunities offered during school year (Sept to June)
- Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis - no deadline
- We will contact you if you are selected for an interview
- Time commitment will depend on when and where you volunteer
- There are very limited weekend placements at any time
- Not all applicants are accepted into our program
What you need to know
- Volunteering entails making a regular commitment to serve patients, Veteran residents, families and visitors.
- Volunteers are selected and placed based on needs of the hospital, interests, skills; availability and suitability.
- If accepted, volunteers are required to complete a medical form and participate in training
- Volunteer roles enhance the patient experience. Volunteers do not observe medical procedures.
What we're looking for:
Our priority is to ensure a positive experience and great "customer service" for patients and visitors.
Volunteers must have:
√ a caring, compassionate manner,
√ excellent interpersonal and communication skills
√ fluency in oral and written English
How to apply: St. John's Rehab
Application and reference forms can also be found at the information desk in the main lobby of the St. John's Rehab site.
Please submit the application and reference forms to the information desk at the St. John's Rehab site. Your application will be placed on file. When a suitable position becomes available, you will be invited to attend an interview and a general hospital orientation.
For more information about volunteer opportunities, please contact Donna Alcock, Coordinator of St. John's Rehab Volunteer Services at 416-226-6780 ext. 7013 or by e-mail at email@example.com.