We currently have a regular full time opportunity for a Data Analyst - Coder in our Health Data Resources department.The Data Analyst (Coder) is responsible for the appropriate analysis, coding and abstracting of Inpatient and Ambulatory Care clinical information from the patient records into the Med2020 WinRecs information system or the OPIS Oncology System. The position also ensures that this information is submitted to the Canadian Institute for Health Information (CIHI) and Cancer Care Ontario (CCO) in a timely manner, according to guidelines set by CIHI, CCO and the hospital.
The Data Analyst (Coder):
- Assigns ICD-10-CA/CCI and ICD03 codes related to Cancer Coding (CCO), Acute Care Discharges (DAD) and Ambulatory Care visits (NACRS)
- Applies ICD10-CA/CCI coding methodologies resulting in proper grouping outcomes
- Assigns Staging values for applicable cancer cases using the AJCC staging classification system
- Abstracting information according to standards from CIHI (DAD, NACRS), CCO and hospital abstracting guidelines
- Ensures that all visits to be coded are done and balance at the end of each month
- Document productivity in accordance with departmental protocols
- Perform regular audits on coded/abstracted data to ensure quality of coded data and adherence to coding standards
- Other related duties as assigned
- Graduate from a recognized Health Information Management/Professional program.
- Current active CHIMA member in good standing and maintained on an annual basis.
- Certification with the Canadian Health Information Management Associate (CHIMA).
- Two (2) years previous experience in Inpatient coding/abstracting required.
- An in-depth knowledge and understanding of CMG's, ACW's, complexity and expected length of stay.
- Demonstrated coding competency in Inpatient, Day Surgery, and Emergency patient records.
- Knowledge and skills in Crystal report writing an asset.
- Demonstrated excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Keyboard speed of 40 wpm.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to exercise tact and discretion.
- Good organizational and time-management skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Proficient in Windows-based applications environment.
- Demonstrated satisfactory performance and attendance record.
- Demonstrated ability to function in a changing and sometimes stressful work environment.
- Be willing to travel between Sunnybrook campuses as required
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resumes, quoting file RC 2281sb to:
Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
To apply, please click "Apply for Position" near the top right corner of this page.
Sunnybrook is committed to providing accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require accommodation for disability during any stage of the recruitment process, please indicate this in your cover letter.