Hospital Foundation Research
Invest in Sunnybrook Research
Research is the engine that powers life-saving innovation at Sunnybrook, leading to better care for patients here and beyond.
- Our scientists led the invention of digital mammography imaging to hunt breast cancer with precision.
- Our research provided the first proof that using a cellphone while driving increases the risk of a motor vehicle collision fourfold, which has affected laws in more than 50 countries.
- We designed Ontario's Colorectal Screening Program, saving countless lives in the province each year.
Tomorrow, we will discover ways to treat the untreatable. But we need help. Support from the community allows us to recruit the best minds and purchase the best, most advanced equipment required to conduct life-saving research that will change the way patients are treated at Sunnybrook and beyond.
Sunnybrook is always searching for better ways to prevent and cure the most prevalent health issues of our time. By investing in research, you will help us invent the future of health care.
New research space – $46.5 million
Innovation will soon have a new home at Sunnybrook. An additional 100,000 square feet of space exclusively for medical research are under construction. Here, our research teams will use highly specialized, shared resources for:
- Clinical trials
- Genetic, cellular and molecular discovery
- Drug development
Our centre for innovation, endorsed by the Canada Foundation for Innovation, promises great hope to our patients, and patients worldwide, who will benefit from the medical breakthroughs pioneered at Sunnybrook.
Researchers – $14.5 million
More than 600 of the world's brightest researchers call Sunnybrook home. Each day around the world, patients benefit from treatments developed right here in our labs. In our new centre for innovation, our researchers will have a facility that matches their outstanding skill and expertise.
- Our researchers are behind innovations in cancer, heart, stroke, trauma and high-risk pregnancies and births that are saving lives around the world.
- Their research spans from manipulating cells in the lab to testing new therapies to ensure that the best treatments are applied for the best results, at the lowest cost.
Donor support allows us to attract new scientists and provide a stable base of support for our best minds.
How can you help?
Learn more about this area of need
Kullervo Hynynen, PhD, physical sciences research scientist
At Harvard, Dr. Hynynen began a revolution in medicine that will make invasive surgery obsolete. At Sunnybrook, he'll finish what he started.
"Sunnybrook's world-renowned team of scientists are committed to collaboration, and the culture here lets scientists explore their fields with unparalleled freedom. This environment lets scientists make real progress," says Kullervo.