Ethics review criteria
In May 2003, the practice-based research committee developed a set of criteria to assist clinicians with the decision to undergo ethics review.
If you answer yes to any of the questions below, then your project will likely need to be reviewed by the research ethics board:
If in doubt, contact Catherine Parry at 416-480-4276 or visit the research ethics board Web site for more information.
- Is your project a multihospital study involving Sunnybrook that has approval from another hospital's ethics board?
- Does your project already have ethics approval from the University of Toronto or another academic institution?
- Does your project relate to a research question involving human subjects?
- Does your project involve an intervention (e.g., drug, treatment, education) not within a standard of care?
- Does your project involve methods that include interviews, focus groups, surveys, case studies or chart reviews?
- Is there intent to publish your project in a peer-reviewed research journal?
- Is there intent to present your project in a research venue?