Scientist profiles A-F
Sunnybrook Research Institute
Sunnybrook Research Institute,
2075 Bayview Ave., Room K3 W05
Toronto, ON M4N 3M5
Clinical ProfileShow/hide details
- B.Sc., Biochemistry, Trinity University
- MD, Harvard University
- M.Sc., Health Research Methodology, McMaster University
- Diplomate, American Board of Anesthesiology
- Fellow, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
- Associate director, obstetrical anesthesia, women and babies program, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
- Associate scientist, evaluative clinical sciences, Women and Babies Research Program, Sunnybrook Research Institute
- Director, Obstetrical Anesthesia Research Unit (OARU), Sunnybrook Research Institute
- Active staff, department of anesthesia, Women's College Hospital and Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
- Assistant professor, anesthesia, University of Toronto
Invited Lectures and Visiting Professorships:
- Multi-centered RCT Examining the Effect of Small vs Large Tuohy-type Epidural Needles on PDPH, Plenary Session, Canadian Anesthesiologists' Society Meeting, Vancouver BC, June 2009.
- Regional Anesthesia and the Tattooed Mama. 4th Annual Obstetric Anesthesia Day, Toronto Anesthetic Practice Meeting, Women's College Hospital, University of Toronto. November 27, 2009.
- Myths and Truths About Epidural Analgesia. College of Family Physician's Meeting, Toronto, Ontario, Canada. November 28, 2009.
- Key Issues and Barriers to Maternity Anesthesia Care in Ontario. Sunnybrook Health Services Sciences Symposium, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, Toronto, Canada. October 23, 2008.
- Emergency Airway and Cricothyroidotomy Session. 2nd Annual Obstetric Anesthesia Day, Toronto Anesthesia Practice Meeting, Women's College Hospital, University of Toronto. November 28, 2008.
- The Case of the Parturient with the Labor Epidural from Hell. 2nd Annual Obstetric Anesthesia Day, Toronto Anesthesia Practice Meeting, Women's College Hospital, University of Toronto. November 28, 2008.
- Opening the Windows on Maternity Anesthesia Care. CAPPA Canada Conference, Childbirth and Postpartum Professional Association, Scarborough Civic Centre, Toronto, Ontario, Canada. November, 14, 2008.
- A Choice Between Stroke and Cardiac Arrest – Severe Bradycardia and Hypotension after Spinal Anesthesia in a Hypertensive Patient. 3rd Annual Obstetric Anesthesia Day, Toronto Anesthesia Practice Meeting, Women's College Hospital, University of Toronto. November 28, 2008.
- Visiting Professorship: University of Dalhousie, Department of Anesthesia, Halifax, Nova Scotia: Examining the Effect of Small vs Large Tuohy-type Epidural Needles on the Incidence and Severity of Post dural Puncture Headache. October 2007.
- Visiting Professorship: University of Dalhousie, Department of Anesthesia, Halifax, Nova Scotia. Resident's research seminar: Anesthesia Resident Academic/Research Teaching Block. An Evidence-based Approach to Treatment of PDPH. October 2-3, 2007.
- Lecture: Epidural blood patch in the age of EBM--Gold standard therapy for PDPH or Quackery. IWK Hospital, Department of Anesthesia, Halifax, Nova Scotia. October 2007.
- Oral Presentation: The Anesthesia Human Resource Crisis: Impact on Provision of Maternity Anesthesia Services in Community, Rural and Rural Remote Hospitals in Ontario. Canadian Health Services and Policy Research Meeting (National Conference), Toronto. June 12, 2007.
- PBLD sessions x 2: Evidence-based Management of PDPH. Canadian Anesthesiologist's Society Meeting, Calgary. June 23, 2007.
- International workshop: How to Teach Evidence-based Clinical Practice. Instructor (tutor trainee). Internal Medicine Group, Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario. June 24–29, 2007.
- Lecture: Epidural Blood Patch in the Age of Evidenced-Based Medicine: Gold Standard Therapy for PDPH or Quackery? Ontario Medical Association Meeting, Ontario Anesthesiologist's Section, Burlington, Ontario. September 17, 2006.
- Oral Presentation: The New Labour Pain Scale (LPS): Description and Properties. American Society of Anesthesiology Annual Meeting, SOAP Special Session, Chicago. October 16, 2006.
- 2 Workshops: (1) The case of a woman with postpartum headache, (2) Using Combined Spinal Epidurals for Labour. Obstetric Anesthesia Workshop Anesthetic Practice Meeting. November 24–27, 2006.
- Presentation: Labour Analgesia – getting it right? Anesthetic Practice Meeting, Toronto. November 24–27, 2006.
- Canadian Anesthesiologists' Society, vice-chair, obstetrical anesthesia section
- Provincial Council for Child Health Ontario, Provincial Maternal Newborn Advisory Council
- University of Toronto, continuing medical education committee, department of anesthesia
Honours, Awards and Major Grants:
- 1999–2000, Physicians' Services Inc. Foundation: $21,500
- 2007–2008, RA Gordon Patient Safety Award, Canadian Anesthesiologists' Society: $40,000
- 2007–2008, Physicians' Services Inc. Foundation: $149,500
- 2008, RA Gordon Clinical research Award, Canadian Anesthesiologists' Society: $20,000
- 2009–2011, Merit Award, University of Toronto: $80,000
Research ProfileShow/hide details
Administrative Assistant: Doris Cheung
Phone: 416-480-6100 x 87757
- MD, 1988, Harvard University, U.S.
- M.Sc., 1994, health research methodology, McMaster University, Canada
Appointments and Affiliations:
- Associate scientist, Evaluative Clinical Sciences , Women & Babies Research Program, Sunnybrook Research Institute
- Clinician scientist, Women's College Hospital
- Assistant professor, department of anesthesia, University of Toronto
- Associate director, obstetric anesthesia, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
- Diagnosis, prevention and treatment of postdural puncture headache
- Knowledge transfer and teaching evidence-based clinical practice
- Development of new health measurement tools for use in obstetric anesthesia
- Improving the quality of labour pain and post-caesarean pain relief
- Multi-centred randomized controlled trial examining the of small gauge epidural needles and catheters to reduce the incidence and severity of postdural puncture headache
- Health services research: women's access to obstetrical anesthesia services; knowledge translation
- Post-caesarean analgesia: methods of measurement, treatment, prevention
- Health research methodology
- Evidence-based clinical practice in obstetrical anesthesia - knowledge transfer: development of a virtual hospital network for maternity anesthesia care in Ontario
- Health measurement: development of a multi-attribute index to measure the quality of neuraxial analgesia for labour
- Systematic reviews: labour pain and post-caesarean pain relief
- Angle P, Kurtz PA, Landy C, Murthy Y, Cino P. Key issues and barriers to obstetrical anesthesia care in Ontario community hospitals, with fewer than 2000 deliveries annually. Can J Anaesth. 2009 Sep;56(9):667–77.
- Morely-Forster P, Singh S, Angle P, Littleford J, Currin M, Halpern SH. The effect of epidural needle type on postdural puncture headache: a randomized trial. Can J Anaesth. 2006 Jun;53(6):572–8.
- Angle P, Hussain K, Morgan A, Halpern S, Van der Vyver M, Yee J et al. High quality labor analgesia using small gauge epidural needles and catheters. Can J Anaesth. 2006 Mar;53(3):263–7.
- Angle P, Tang S, Thompson D, Szalai JP. Expectant management of postdural puncture headache increases hospital length of stay and emergency room visits. Can J Anaesth. 2005 Apr;52(4):397–402.
- Angle P, Kronberg J, Thompson D, Ackerly C, Duffin J, Fauer P et al. In vitro investigation: epidural catheter penetration of human dural tissue. Anesthesiology. 2004 Jun;100(6):1491–6.
Related News and Stories: