Scientist profiles G-L
Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
2075 Bayview Ave., Room A1 53
Administrative Assistant: Paola Tiveron
- MD, 1988, University of Alberta, Canada
- FRCPC, 1994, McGill University, Canada
- M.Sc., 1998, Epidemiology and Biostatistics, McGill University, Canada
Appointments and Affiliations:
- Scientist, Evaluative Clinical Sciences, Trauma, Emergency & Critical Care, Sunnybrook Research Institute
- Staff physician, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, emergency services
- Assistant professor, clinician scientist, and resident scholarly activities coordinator, department of medicine (division of emergency medicine), University of Toronto
- Director, emergency medicine research program, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
- Research advisor, geriatric emergency management committee, regional geriatric program of Toronto.
- Associate editor, Canadian Journal of Emergency Medicine
- Clinical decision rules
- Geriatric emergency management
- Pain management
While most older persons are functionally independent, the frail elderly are a subgroup of particular concern. Characterized by multiple illnesses and functional decline, a minor change can precipitate a crisis among these vulnerable elders (e.g., being trapped on the floor after a fall). Unfortunately, many lack basic social and health care support that may prevent or reduce such mishaps. Improving the care of older persons who access the health care system is the urgent focus of Dr. Lee’s research.
Currently, he is applying his research training in the development and validation of clinical decision rules to develop efficient methods to identify older persons who are at high risk for preventable adverse outcomes. Once identified, effective interventions may be implemented to prevent adverse outcomes and loss of independence, and to promote successful ageing.
Dr. Lee has previously been involved in the development of clinical decision rules to determine the need for radiological and biochemical investigations. He has also maintained an interest in the management and measurement of acute pain in the emergency department.
Related News and Stories:
- National health agency grants an abundance of research awards: Scientists score high in largest funding investment (Sept. 4, 2015)