Scientist profiles G-L
Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
2075 Bayview Avenue, Room M5 318a
Clinical ProfileShow/hide details
- MD, 1977, University of Toronto
- FRCPC, 1982, University of Toronto
- M.Sc., 1996, Clinical Epidemiology, McMaster University
- Division head, obstetrical anesthesia, women and babies program, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
- Affiliate scientist, evaluative clinical sciences - Women and Babies Research Program, Sunnybrook Research Institute
- Active staff, department of anesthesia, Women's College Hospital
- Professor, anesthesia, obstetrics and gynecology, University of Toronto
- Member, editorial board, International Journal of Obstetric Anesthesia
- Member, Cochrane Anesthesia Research Group (CARG)
Academic and Clinical Interests:
- Obstetrical anesthesia
- Pain management
- Ambulatory anesthesia
- Clinical trials
- Patient safety
Invited Lectures and Visiting Professorships:
- Obstetrical Anesthesia. Critical Care in Obstetrics. Vaughan Estates. Toronto Canada Sept 20.
- The “less than perfect” epidural. Euroanaesthesia 2010 June 15 Helsinki Finland.
- Epidural analgesia to epidural anesthesia for cesarean section: Practical Considerations. 4th Annual Obstetric Anesthesia Day. Women’s College Hospital, Nov 17, Toronto.
- The use of ultrasound for Neuraxial blocks in obstetrics. Grand Rounds, Department of obstetrics and Gynecology, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre. Oct 16. Toronto, Canada.
- Labour analgesia—Analgesia and labour outcome, an EBM approach. Euroanesthesia June 7, Milan Italy.
- Conversion of epidural analgesia for labor to anesthesia for cesarean section: practical considerations. 35th Annual Virginia Apgar Seminar. March 20. The Hilton Hotel at Disney world Village. Florida.
- The Morbidly Obese Parturient. . 35th Annual Virginia Apgar Seminar. March 20. The Hilton Hotel at Disney world Village. Florida.
- The Epidural Test Dose. 35th Annual Virginia Apgar Seminar. March 22. The Hilton Hotel at Disney world Village. Florida.
- Troublesome epidural? More trouble than you think! 3rd annual Obstetric Anesthesia Day. November 28. Women’s College Hospital.
- Session Chair—Modern Labour Analgesia. 21st International Congress of the Israel Society of Anesthesiologists. Dan Panorama Hotel. Tel Aviv Israel. Sept 16
- Pro-Con Debate. The time has come to abandon the epidural test dose for labor. Pro. 21st International Congress of the Israel Society of Anesthesiologists. Dan Panorama Hotel. Tel Aviv Israel. Sept 16
- Workshop: Ultrasound for lumbar neuraxial blocks. 21st International Congress of the Israel Society of Anesthesiologists. Dan Panorama Hotel. Tel Aviv Israel. Sept 17.
- Pro-Con Debate: Regional Anesthesia is safer than general anesthesia for cesarean section—Con. Canadian Society of Anesthesiologists Annual Meeting. World Trade Convention Centre. Halifax. Nova Scotia. June 16
- Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, Blood Bank Committee
- University of Toronto, Postgraduate Education Research Committee, department of anesthesia
Honours and Awards:
- 2003–2004, Jacob and Lena Joels Memorial Foundation, Visiting Professor in the Life Science and Medical Sciences, Hebrew University, Jerusalem, Israel
- 2008 (January), Editorial Board, International Journal of Obstetric Anesthesia
Research ProfileShow/hide details
Administrative Assistant: Doris Cheung
Phone: 416-323-6100 x 87757
- MD, 1977, University of Toronto, Canada
- FRCP, 1982, anesthesia, U of T, Canada
- M.Sc., 1996, clinical epidemiology, McMaster University, Canada
Appointments and Affiliations:
- Affiliate scientist, Evaluative Clinical Sciences, Women & Babies Research Program, Sunnybrook Research Institute
- Courtesy staff anesthesiologist, anesthesia, Women's College Hospital
- Division head, obstetrical anesthesia, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
- Professor, departments of anesthesia, and obstetrics & gynaecology, U of T
- Member, Cochrane Anesthesia Research Group (CARG)
- Meta-analysis and systematic review of best practices in obstetrical anesthesia
Dr. Halpern's recent research studies focus on needle design and postdural puncture headache related to epidural analgesia (with Dr. Pamela Angle); use of ultrasound to determine level of lumbar puncture; use of ultrasound to locate the epidural space in morbidly obese women who are in labour; incidence of general anesthesia for caesarean section after labour epidural; and post-caesarean section analgesia.
- Beilin Y, Halpern SH. Placenta accreta: successful outcome is all in the planning. Int J Obstet Anesth. 2013 Aug. [Epub ahead of print].
- Ioscovich A, Mirochnitchenko E, Halpern SH, Smueloff A,Grisaru-Granovsky S, Gozal Y, Einav S. Anesthetic considerations for high order cesarean sections: a prospective cohort study. Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2013 Aug. [Epub ahead of print].
- Abdullah FW, Laffey JG, Halpern SH, Brull R. Duration of analgesic effectiveness after the posterior and lateral transversus abdominis plane block techniques for transverse lower abdominal incisions: a meta-analysis. Br J Anaesth. 2013 Nov;111(5):721–35.
- Sultan P, Murphy C, Halpern S, Carvalho B. The effect of low concentrations versus high concentrations of local anesthetics for labour analgesia on obstetric and anesthetic outcomes: a meta-analysis. Can J Anaesth. 2013 Sep;60(9):840–54.
- Ankichetty S, Chinnappa V, Angle P, Halpern SH. Chronic kidney disease in pregnancy. Int J Obstet Anesth. 2013 Jul;22(3)223–30.