|Scientist profiles S-Z|
Sunnybrook Research Institute
Sunnybrook Health Science Centre
2075 Bayview Ave., Room T2 023
- B.Sc., 1972, University of Toronto, Canada
- MA, 1973, math, York University, Canada
- MD, 1981, University of Toronto, Canada
- FRCPC, 1986, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons, Canada
Appointments and Affiliations:
- Affiliate scientist, evaluative clinical sciences, Odette Cancer Research Program, Sunnybrook Research Institute
- Head, division of medical oncology and hematology, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
- Head, systemic therapy program, Odette Cancer Centre
- Professor, department of medicine, faculty of medicine, University of Toronto
- Associate member, Institute of Medical Science, University of Toronto
- Co-chair, breast cancer site group, program in evidence-based care, Cancer Care Ontario
- Breast cancer
- Prognostic factors
- New drugs
- Clinical trials
Dr. Trudeau's research interests cover the spectrum of breast cancer from prevention to treatment and palliative care. To date, her research has centred on the following:
- clinical trials in prevention, and adjuvant and metastatic disease, including investigational new drugs
- a study of the quality of life and general health of long-term survivors of breast cancer
- guidelines for the treatment of breast cancer and systemic therapy.
In addition, Dr. Trudeau participates in clinical trials through the National Cancer Institute of Canada-Clinical Trials Group ,(NCIC-CTG), the National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project and in studies supported by grants from industry. She has also chaired several studies in breast cancer through NCIC-CTG.
The use of new drugs remains a strong area of research interest for Dr. Trudeau. She is investigating the use of epirubicin and Taxotere as a neoadjuvant therapy, and has collected tissue biopsies for microarray analysis of factors to predict drug sensitivity and resistance. This trial has formed the basis for further research in RNA degradation.
As co-chair of the Breast Disease Site Group, Dr. Trudeau has authored many guidelines on the treatment of breast cancer, which have influenced drug funding decisions provincially and nationally.