|Scientist profiles S-Z|
Sunnybrook Research Institute
Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
2075 Bayview Ave., Room H1 86
Administrative Assistant: Ingrid Wagner
- B.A., 1989, Biochemistry, Queen’s University, Kingston, Canada
- MD, 1992, McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada
- MSc, 2007, Clinical Epidemiology, University of Toronto, Canada
Appointments and Affiliations:
- Associate scientist, evaluative clinical sciences - Trauma, Emergency and Critical Care Program, Sunnybrook Research Institute
- Medical Director, Tory Regional Trauma Centre, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
- Assistant Professor, Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto
- Lieutenant Colonel, Canadian Forces Health Services
- National Practice Leader – Trauma for Canadian Forces Health Services
- Health services
- Combat Trauma Care and War Surgery
- Coagulopathy and bleeding
- Time-to-treatment and outcomes
The focus of Dr. Tien’s clinical and research work has been improving care delivered to injured soldiers on the battlefield. He leads the Canadian Forces research and clinical groups in trauma research. His group is conducting the world’s first RCT on the use of a 1:1 transfusion strategy in bleeding trauma patients. As well, they have published on Tactical combat casualty care interventions on the battlefield.
See current publications list at PubMed.
- Tien HC, Farrell R, Macdonald J: Preparing Canadian Military Surgeons for Afghanistan. Canadian Medical Association Journal 2006: 175(11): pp 1365-66.
- Rizoli SB, Nascimento B, Osman F, Spencer F, Kiss A, Callum J, Brenneman FD, Tremblay LN, Tien HC: The Use of Recombinant Activated Factor VIIa and Survival in Bleeding Trauma Patients. Journal of Trauma 2006: 61(6): pp 1419-25.
- Tien HC, Tremblay LN, Rizoli SB, Gelberg J, Chughtai T, Tikuisis P, Shek P, Brenneman FD: The Association Between Alcohol and Mortality In Patients with Severe Traumatic Brain Injury. Archives of Surgery 2006: 141(120: pp 1185-91.
- Tien HC, Jung V, Rizoli SB, Acharya SV, Macdonald JC: An Evaluation of Tactical Combat Casualty Care Interventions in a Combat Environment. Journal of the American College of Surgeons 2008: 207(2): pp 174-78.
- Macdonald JC, Tien HC: Emergency Battlefield Cricothyrotomy. Canadian Medical Association Journal 2008: 178(9): pp 1133-35.
- Tien HC, Acharya SV, Redelmeier DA: Preventing Deaths in the Canadian Military. American Journal of Preventive Medicine 2010: 38(3): pp 331-9.
Related News and Stories:
- Lieutenant-Colonel named trauma medical director (July 5, 2010)
- Tien, H. (2007, December). Inteview onsoldiers bring superbug [Acinetobacter baumannii] back from Kandahar. CTV News, Avis Favaro and Elizabeth St. philip, [Television broadcast]. CTV Television.
- Tien, H. (2007, December). Interview on Afghan superbug could threat in Canadian Hospitals. CBC News, Bill Gillespie. [Radio broadcast]. CBC Radio.
- Tien, H. (2007, July). Interview on mild traumatic brain injury in Canadian soldiers surving blast injury in Kandahar. CBC News, Bill Gillespie. [Radio broadcast]. CBC Radio.
- Tien, H. (2007, February). Interview on treating wounded Canadian soldiers at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre. CBC Dispatches, Rick MacInnes-Rae. [Radio broadcast]. CBC Radio.