Schulich Care Team
Cardiac and Vascular Surgery
Division of Cardiac and Vascular Surgery
Admin Assistant: Larissa Flora
Phone: 416.480.6100 ext 6077
Dr. Gideon Cohen joined the Cardiac Surgical Staff at Sunnybrook's Schulich Heart Centre in July, 2002. A Toronto native, Dr. Cohen graduated Valedictorian from the University of Toronto, Faculty of Medicine in 1992.
After completing his surgical residency in the division of General Surgery, he went on to enroll in the Surgical Scientist Program in 1995. He spent three years pursuing full time research within the Cardiovascular Sciences Collaborative Program during which time he completed both Master of Science and Doctor of Philosophy degrees in molecular biology.
His numerous resident awards included the Wilfred G. Bigelow Award in Cardiac Surgery, the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons Canadian Research Award for Specialty Residents, and the Harrison Teaching Award.
Dr. Cohen successfully completed his Cardiovascular Surgical training at the University of Toronto in June of 2001 and spent the next year as Chief Cardiac Surgical Fellow at the Cleveland Clinic. He was awarded the Cleveland Clinic Surgical Excellence Award as outstanding fellow for 2001, having been selected from 30 candidates from top international centres.
Dr. Cohen has published over 50 articles in various peer reviewed journals and has contributed to multiple book chapters. He brings to Sunnybrook extensive experience in minimally invasive valvular and aortic surgery, arrhythmia surgery and re-operative coronary bypass surgery. He currently serves as the Head of the Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgical Program at the Schulich Heart Centre and in 2003, he performed the first minimally invasive modified Maze procedure in Canada in a patient with chronic atrial fibrillation.
- Faculty of Medicine, U of T, MD, M.Sc., PhD
Appointments & Affiliations:
- Staff Surgeon, Cardiovascular Surgery, Schulich Heart Centre
- Head of the Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgical Program, Schulich Heart Centre
- Associate Professor of Surgery, University of Toronto
- Member, Board of Directors, Starlight Children's Foundation.
Clinical & Research Interests:
- Arrhythmia surgery
- Atrial fibrillation surgery
- Complex valvular and aortic cases
- Minimally invasive valvular and aortic surgery
- Mitral Surgery
- Percutaneous Valvular Procedures
- Re-operative coronary bypass surgery