Scientist profiles G-L
Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
2075 Bayview Ave., Room E4 32
Administrative Assistant: Karen Laws
- M.B.B.Ch., 1968, Alexandria University, Egypt
Appointments and Affiliations:
- Affiliate scientist, Biological Sciences, Odette Cancer Research Program, Sunnybrook Research Institute
- Professor, department of laboratory medicine and pathobiology, University of Toronto
- Breast cancer
- Light microscopy
- Molecular biology
Breast cancer has been the focus of Dr. Hanna's research for the last 25 years. Specifically, she has concentrated on the investigation of biological markers as prognostic and predictive factors for response to therapy. The technology she used was predominantly immunohistochemistry and light microscopy. However, in certain areas, in particular, molecular biology, she used polymerase chain reaction. The biological markers included hormone receptors, the HER2/neu oncogene and many molecular markers that are involved in angiogenesis and may play a role in invasiveness. The subset of cohorts used was part of the Henrietta Banting Breast Centre database, the compiling of which involved collection of blocks and slides from 2,000 patients, and statistical compilation of demographics, treatment modalities and clinical outcomes for these patients. Many of the findings from the research were applied to this cohort and tumour bank.
The major focus of Dr. Hanna's research now is on ductal carcinoma in-situ, in particular on markers that are predictive for recurrence, especially invasive recurrence.
Dr. Hanna is also involved in the standardization of testing for molecular markers for breast cancer. She has been involved in setting guidelines locally, nationally and internationally, specifically for hormone receptors and Her2/neu testing.
- Abu-Abed S, Pennell N, Petrella T, Wright F, Seth A, Hanna W. KIT gene mutations and patterns of protein expression in mucosal and acral melanoma. J Cutan Med Surg. 2012 Mar–Apr; 16(2):135–142.
- S, Vella ET, Dhesy-Thind S, Hagerty KL, Mangu PB, Temin S, Hanna WM. Systematic review on hormone receptor testing in breast cancer. Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol. 2012 May; 20(3):214–263.
- Rüschoff J, Hanna W, Bilous M, Hofmann M, Osamura RY, Penault-Llorca F, van de Vijver M, Viale G. HER2 testing in gastric cancer: a practical approach. Mod Pathol. 2012 May; 25(5):637–650.
- Jakate K, Wong K, Sirbovan J, Hanna W. Cutaneous myoepithelioma arising within hidradenoma of the scalp. J Cutan Pathol. 2012 Feb; 39(2):279–285.
- Trinkaus ME, Sayed S, Gakinya SM, Moloo Z, Hanna W, Rahim Y. Triple negative and basal-like breast cancer in East Africa. Breast J. 2011 Jul–Aug; 17(4):438–440.
Related News and Stories: