Why choose Sunnybrook?
Sunnybrook ACLS / PALS / ATLS / ULTRASOUND Programs:
- We have been honoured to receive numerous academic awards for teaching excellence within the program.
- Recognized by the Heart & Stroke Foundation as a model for others to follow.
- Use of simulators at all courses from the inception of the program over 30 years ago.
- Purchase of new and updated equipment on a regular basis to offer the very best of education during our practical sessions.
- 100% of our course Instructors and Directors are fully CERTIFIED in ACLS, and include Physicians, RNs, Paramedics and Physician Assistants. We are very proud of our interdisciplinary approach to team training and provision of cardiac arrest care that we started a decade ago.
- Instructor to participant ratio capped at 1:6, and is often lower (policy of the Heart & Stroke Foundation, and the American Heart Association).
- All course fees include the Provider Manual which we mail directly to each participant. The 2015 Guidelines were released by HSFO/AHA and those guidelines are now being instructed.
- Additional online educational files on algorithms etc. sent to each participant for review prior to course.
- 100% of our growing ACLS faculty has been fully updated to the new 2015 Guidelines.
- Members of our "Educator Committee" continually attend courses to ensure the quality of our instructor faculty and update them in teaching methods, delivery and the evolving use of simulators.
- We provide catered meals at all our courses, both the full weekend and the shorter recertification courses
- Sunnybrook is fully affiliated with the University of Toronto.
We are proud of our ongoing ACLS, PALS, ATLS and Ultrasound Programs and strongly believe we provide the very best in continuing medical education.
All of the Sunnybrook ACLS courses taught by the Sunnybrook faculty receive the standard financial supports as provided by the University of Toronto Medical Education Dept. for its postgraduate trainees.
ALS (Advanced Life Support) Educator Program
- Paul Hawkins MD MCFP (EM) FACEP, Director Advanced Life Support Education Program (ACLS / PALS)
- Terry G. Smith, Manager, ACLS / PALS / ATLS Programs
- Educators Committee: Dr. Jordan Chenkin, Dr. Ivan Diamond, Sandra Goldsworthy RN Educator, Dr. Francis Sem, Dr. Rob Simard
- Dr. Jay Dahman and Mark Cameron, Paramedic III (F) B.HSc., Associate Director, Clinical Simulation, PALS Lead
- Homer Tien, Homer CN Tien, OMM CD, MD MSc FRCSC, ATLS Lead
- Dr. Rob Simard, Ultrasound Program Lead
Terry G. Smith, ALS Program Manager
ALS Program Office
Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
H-wing, 2nd floor, room H-265
2075 Bayview Avenue,
Toronto, Ontario M4N 3M5