Volunteers needed for research studies
Participants are needed for a research study titled “Speech movement classification for diagnosing and treating ALS” at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre.
The investigator for this study is Dr. Yana Yunusova. The goal is to understand how Lou Gehrig’s disease, or amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS),affects the movements of the tongue and muscles needed for speech. This study is driven by the need to understand the nature of ALS. This knowledge is extremely limited at present, but is very important in order to understand the disease process and be able to develop diagnostic and treatment procedures for the future.
We are looking for people as follows:
- Between the ages of 45 and 65 years
- No current or past memory problems or neurological impairments
- Normal hearing and no hearing aids
- No dentures
If you agree to participate in the study you will be asked to do the following:
- Undergo a hearing screening
- Read some sentences and syllables with small sensors in the mouth
The recording takes approximately 90 minutes. The study requires one visit to Sunnybrook. Compensation will be provided.