Scientist profiles A-F
Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
2075 Bayview Ave., Room D3 77
Clinical Administrative Assistant: Erin O'Neill
Phone: 416-480-6100 ext. 7383
- MD, 1983, Vitebsk State Medical Institute, Belarus
- Specialist, 1996, internal medicine, Ben Gurion University, Israel
- Specialist, 1998, cardiology, Ben Gurion University, Israel
- Fellowship, 2002, electrophysiology, McMaster University, Canada
Appointments and Affiliations:
- Associate scientist, Physical Sciences, Schulich Heart Research Program, Sunnybrook Research Institute
- Director, arrhythmia services, Schulich Heart Centre, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
- Staff cardiologist/electrophysiologist, Women's College Hospital
- Associate professor, department of medicine, University of Toronto
- Imaging and catheter tracking in invasive electrophysiology
- Outcomes research in cardiac electrophysiology
- Robotics in cardiac electrophysiology
The focus of Dr. Crystal's research is cardiac arrhythmias, in particular atrial fibrillation, device therapies and imaging guidance in electrophysiology. He has authored and co-authored more than 20 book chapters in the area of cardiovascular electrophysiology and cardiology, and has more than 90 peer-reviewed publications. He is co-author of the Canadian national guidelines on the management of atrial fibrillation and is involved in clinical research related to interventional cardiac electrophysiology. He is principal investigator and co-investigator of numerous peer-reviewed and industry grants related to research in cardiac arrhythmia.
Dr. Crystal is a member of numerous international cardiac electrophysiology congresses and a founding member of the European Cardiac Arrhythmia Society. He is also the founder and chair of the annual International Winter Arrhythmia Symposium, the largest arrhythmia continuing medical education event in Canada.
- Nair KM, Shurrab M, Skanes A, Danon A, Birnie D, Tang A, Verma A, Lashevsky I, Singh S, Crystal E. The prevalence and risk factors for atrioesophageal fistula after percutaneous radiofrequency catheter ablation for atrial fibrillation: the Canadian experience. J Interv Card Electrophysiol. Forthcoming.
- Shurrab M, Danon A, Lashevsky I, Kiss A, Newman D, Szili-Torok T, Crystal E. Robotically assisted ablation of atrial fibrillation: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Int J Cardiol. 2013 Nov;169(3):157–65.
- Shurrab M, Morillo CA, Schulman S, Kansal N, Danon A, Newman D, Lashevsky I, Healey JS, Crystal E. Safety and efficacy of dabigatran compared with warfarin for patients undergoing radiofrequency catheter ablation of atrial fibrillation: a meta-analysis. Can J Cardiol. 2013 Oct;29(10):1203–10.
- Oduneye SO, Pop M, Biswas L, Ghate S, Flor R, Ramanan V, Barry J, Celik H, Crystal E, Wright GA. Postinfarction ventricular tachycardia substrate characterization: a comparison between late enhancement magnetic resonance imaging and voltage mapping using an MR-guided electrophysiology system. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng. 2013 Sep;60(9)2442–9.
- Crystal E, Shurrab M, Lashevsky I, Crystal EI, Laish-Farkash A, Newman D. The impact of catheter-tracking technologies on efficacy and safety in cardiac electrophysiology. Expert Rev Cardiovasc Ther. 2010 Oct;8(10):1383–7.
Related News and Stories:
- Keeping the Beat: Imaging-guided technique for complex arrhythmias could save lives (from 2015 SRI Magazine)
- Invasive cardiac electrophysiology, challenged, June 6, 2012 (link to webcast)
- Living with an implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD): Everything you wanted to know, Cardiology City Wide Rounds, May 29, 2012 (link to webcast)
- Surgical procedures best for common heart problem, CTV News, January 26, 2010
- Centre for Research in Image-Guided Therapeutics
- Imaging Research Centre for Cardiac Intervention
- U of T profile, division of cardiology
- International Winter Arrhythmia School