Eye Care Team
Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
2075 Bayview Ave., Room M1 302A
Office Manager: Mary Ghazalian
Clinical ProfileShow/hide details
Medical Receptionist: Christine Girdharry
Ophthalmic Assistant: Lina Han
Dr. Birt is a fellowship-trained glaucoma sub-specialist, taking care of glaucoma across the spectrum of disease. She is also a cataract surgeon.
Glaucoma surgery (including laser procedures) are done at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, while cataract surgeries are done both at Sunnybrook and at the Kensington Eye Institute.
Research ProfileShow/hide details
Administrative Assistant: Christine Girdharry
- BA, 1984, psychology, Queen's University, Canada
- MA, 1985, psychology, University of Toronto, Canada
- MD, 1989, University of Toronto, Canada
- FRCSC, 1994, ophthalmology, Canada
Appointments and Affiliations:
- Affiliate scientist, Evaluative Clinical Sciences, Hurvitz Brain Sciences Research Program, Sunnybrook Research Institute
- Staff physician, department of ophthalmology and vision sciences, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
- Associate professor, department of ophthalmology and vision sciences, University of Toronto
Research Summary:Dr. Birt’s research focus is glaucoma, including studies of new medications, imaging technologies and the results of laser and surgical procedures. She is looking at the efficacy of selective laser trabeculoplasty (a type of microsurgery for glaucoma) in different populations. She is also studying the results of bleb needling (a procedure to restore to fluid drainage and lower eye pressure) in two patient populations. She is also conducting phase 3 and 4 drug efficacy trials in partnership with industry.
- Bower TN, Muhsen S, Overbury O, Birt CM, Kasner, O. Canadian ophthalmologists' opinions concerning complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) use in glaucoma. J Glaucoma. 2013 Sep;23(7):430–4.
- Kent S, Hutnik CML. Birt CM, Damji KF, Harasymowycz P, Si F, Hodge WG, Pan IY, Crichton A. A randomized clinical trial of selective laser trabeuloplasty versus argon laser trabeculoplasty in patients with pseudoexfoliation. J Glaucoma. 2013 Jun-Jul;24(5):344–7.
- Pradhan ZS, Dalvi R, Lai T, Kranemann C, Boyd S, Birt CM. Prostaglandin agonist effect on matrix metalloproteinase aqueous levels in glaucoma patients. Can J Ophthalmol. 2015 Feb;50(1):6–10.
- Aguayo Bonniard A, Yeung JY, Chan CC, Birt CM. Ocular surface toxicity from glaucoma topical medications and associated preservatives such as benzalkonium chloride (BAK). Expert Opin Drug Metab Toxicol. Epub 2016 Jul 18.
- Calafati J, Pradhan ZS, Birt CM. Frequency of unplanned intervention in patients attending for a presumed routine glaucoma followup appointment. Can J Opthalmol. Forthcoming 2016.