Hospital  >  Care Programs  >  Tory Trauma Program  >  Trauma  >  Trauma patient education  >  Social and Community Supports and Services

Social and Community Supports and Services

Supportive hands

Financial Help

1. Ontario Works (OW)

If you have no income but have rent and bills to pay and need help immediately, you may be able to apply for OW.

2. Ontario Disability Support Plan (ODSP)

If you have a disability that will last one year or more and need financial help, you may be able to apply for ODSP.

You will need to find the office that is closest to your postal code.
Call: 416-392-2956 (for Toronto)
Website: (for Ontario)

3. Employment Insurance (EI)

If you were working before being injured, you may be able to apply for EI.
Call: 1-800-206-7218
supportive hands


1. Emergency Shelter

There is 24 hour/7 day a week help to find emergency shelter.
Call: 1-877-338-3398 (for GTA) 211 (for Ontario)

2. Housing Help

You may need housing help like a small loan to help pay your rent, subsidized housing, and help to avoid being evicted.
Call: 311 (for Toronto)
Website: (for Ontario)


1. Food Banks

There are many food banks in Toronto and Ontario.
Call: 211 (for Ontario)

2. Meals on Wheels

Meals on Wheels will deliver healthy meals to your home if you are not able to cook or shop for food.
Call: 211 (for Ontario)
Website: (for Ontario)

Care at Home

Illustration of a house

If you need care at home for you or your loved one, you may be able to get help from the CCAC (Community Care Access Centre). This is covered through OHIP.

If the hospital has already made a referral for you (before you left the hospital), you will get a phone call once the referral has been processed.

Call: 310-CCAC (2222)

Sometimes people need to pay for extra care if you are not eligible for CCAC. The CCAC can provide you with names and contact information for private health care services.


Mental Health and Addictions

1. Mental Health

Dealing with injury/illness may be overwhelming and difficult. You may experience stress trying to balance home, work, and relationships. Many people need help and support to cope with these challenges.

Call: Mental Health Helpline 1-800-531-2600 (Ontario services and supports)

2. Addictions

Sometimes using alcohol and drugs can cause problems in a person's life. If you have tried to stop, but have not been able to get this under control, you may need help.

Call: Drug and Alcohol Helpline 1-800-565-8603 (Ontario services and supports)

3. Crisis Help

If you or your loved one is having a mental health crisis or an emergency, including feeling suicidal, you may need emergency help.

Call: Toronto Distress Centre 416-408-HELP (4357) (GTA)
Website: Distress Centres Ontario
911 (or go to your nearest hospital emergency room)

Other Community and Social Services

There are many other kinds of community and social supports you may need information about.

Call: 211 (for Ontario)