Practical concerns

Termination of coverage / entitlement to benefits

One of the tasks that you need to tend to following the death of your loved one is the termination of coverage by government departments. You may also be entitled to collect personal benefits.

Show/hide list of examples » 

End Coverage Collect Benefit
Service Canada
English 1-800-277-9914
French 1-800-277-9915
• CPP (Canada Pension Plan)
• GIS (Guaranteed Income Supplement)
• OAS (Old Age Security)
Veterans Affairs Canada
English 1-866-522-2122
French 1-866-522-2022
Last Post Fund Toll Free: 1 (800) 465-7113
Guaranteed Income Supplement
English 1-800-277-9914
French 1-800-277-9915
OHIP 1-800-268-1154
Supplementary Medical Insurance
Office of Public Trustee 416-314-2800
(if there is no will or next of kin)
Workplace Safety & Insurance Board

Personal checklist

Listed below are items you might find helpful to gather together in a folder. They will assist you with some of the more concrete tasks that need to be completed in the first few weeks.

Show/hide the checklist »

  • OHIP/ Health Card
  • Group Medical Benefit Cards
  • Birth Certificates for Deceased and Dependants
  • Marriage Certificate
  • Death Certificate: Funeral Directors & Certified Copies
  • Social Insurance Number
  • Most Recent Copy of the Will
  • Life Insurance Policies
  • Bank or Credit Institution Passbooks/Statements
  • Credit Cards
  • Safety Deposit Box/Keys
  • Stocks, Bonds, Certificates, Documents
  • Recent Pay Stub from Employer
  • Recent Contracts Entered Into
  • Loan and Mortgage Documentation
  • Real Estate and Property Title Deeds
  • Car Ownership Registration and Insurance Policies
  • Previous Two Years' Income Tax Returns
  • Association and Club Memberships and Subscriptions
  • Lawyer (to administer the estate and probate the Will)
  • Household Bills (utilities, etc.)

Financial assistance

You may be eligible for financial assistance from some of the following sources:

Canada Pension Plan

If the deceased has paid into the Canada Pension Plan (CPP), contact the local CPP office. The CPP death benefit should be applied for as soon as possible after the death occurs. A lump-sum death benefit is payable to the estate of a deceased person who contributed to the Plan for at least the minimum qualifying period. The spouse and dependent children of the deceased may also be eligible for Survivor's Benefits under the plan. The telephone number is listed in the Blue pages under:

Service Canada
English - 1-800-277-9914 French - 1-800-277-9915

Veterans Affairs Canada

Veterans receiving a Veterans Affairs Canada pension or allowance may qualify for grants to be applied toward the cost of a funeral. Assistance with cemetery costs may also be provided. All branches of The Royal Canadian Legion have a welfare officer who can provide further information and assistance with claims. The funeral director can also assist you in contacting the local VAC office.

Sunnybrook VAC office: 1-866-522-2122

The Last Post Fund

The Last Post Fund provides for a dignified burial of any financially needy veteran who served in the Armed Forces of Canada or any of Canada's Allies during a major war.

The Last Post Fund
55 St Clair Avenue East, Suite 905 Toronto, ON M4T 1M2
Toll Free: 1 (800) 465-7113

The Workplace Safety & Insurance Board

(formerly Worker's Compensation Board)
A burial allowance is available for individuals who died accidentally while on the job. Inquiries and applications should be directed to:

The Workplace Safety & Insurance Board
200 Front Street West Toronto, ON M5V 3J1 416-344-1000

Ontario (No-Fault) Insurance

If death was the result of a motor vehicle accident, contact the car insurance company as soon as possible. Under Ontario's no-fault insurance program a payment will be made to cover part of the funeral expenses. In cases of motor vehicle accident where neither the deceased nor the other party were insured, contact the Accident Claims Fund. The deceased may still qualify for the funeral benefit.

Accident Claims Fund

Life insurance

If the deceased had life insurance, contact the insurance agent or local representative for assistance with claim forms. In the case of the death of a school-aged child, check the insurance policy you may have purchased through the school insurance program.

Organizations & clubs

Many organizations, lodges, and social clubs provide a death benefit payable to the estate of the deceased member. Contact any organization to which the deceased belonged. Inquire if the deceased paid into survivor's benefit, death benefits or life insurance through the organization. You can also let the Funeral Director know the names and addresses of all the lodges, clubs, and associations to which the deceased belonged. He or she will know organizations that offer a benefit to which you are entitled, and will assist you in applying for them.


Check with the Personnel Department to determine whether the deceased was enrolled in a pension plan, has life insurance, or was eligible for some type of termination pay at time of death. If the deceased was a union member, inquire with the union as well, since some private benefits programs exist in conjunction with respective union dues.

OHIP and Other Health Insurance Coverage

If insurance was in the deceased's name, notify the insurance companies in writing.

Car Ownership and Insurance

If the deceased owned a car, you must notify the Ministry of Transport and the insurance company.

Ministry of Transportation


Settling the estate and other affairs

After the funeral or service is over, you will have to deal with the final legal and financial matters relating to the deceased's affairs, as well as your own.

Contacting your lawyer can help you with such complicated details as locating the Will, having the Will probated, gaining access to safety deposit boxes, closing out bank accounts, or accessing joint bank accounts so you can get immediate cash until more money becomes available to you.

The lawyer can also advise you in all matters related to the estate. If you are concerned about legal fees, ask! Most lawyers will give you an estimate of what the maximum fee will be.

The lawyer may feel that you can deal with some of the matters yourself, and will advise you how to do so. If you do not have a lawyer, and are concerned about choosing one, you might want to call:

The Law Society of Upper Canada
Lawyer Referral Service

General Inquiries: 416-947-3300 Osgoode Hall
130 Queen Street West Toronto, ON
M5H 2N6

The Law Society maintains a referral service for those wanting help in choosing a lawyer. If you choose a lawyer from the referral service, mention that you obtained his or her name from the referral service when you phone for an appointment. A free half-hour interview will be provided. You can request a lawyer near your home and/or one who can speak your particular language.

Location and contact

Palliative care unit admissions (K1E/K1C)

For Palliative Care Unit Referrals.
Please refer to Making A Referral
Phone: 416-480-6182
Fax: 416-480-6118

Palliative care consult team

For inpatient consultations and ambulatory care clinic visits.
Please refer to Palliative Care Consult Team
Phone: 416-480-6100 ext. 67255
Fax: 416-480-5146
Monday - Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

If you have any questions regarding palliative care referrals and resources, please do not hesitate to contact us.

For urgent matters outside of business hours, please call locating at 416-480-4244 and ask the operator to page the "on-call palliative care physician/consultant".

» Download our brochure

Make a gift to the Palliative Care Unit at Sunnybrook:

Donate now »