Events FAQ


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Organizing an Event

Can you mail information about my event to Sunnybrook donors?

Sunnybrook Foundation cannot email or mail information to donors. However, the Sunnybrook event team would be happy to list your event on our online calendar.

Can you help me find sponsors for my event?

Sunnybrook Foundation can work with you to help brainstorm and come up with a list of appropriate sponsors for your event, but we cannot approach corporations or individuals on your behalf. The Foundation event team has information available for you on how to secure sponsorships, including sample sponsorship packages and ask letters.

Make a budget

Identify your possible sources of income (ticket sales, sponsorship) and estimates of all potential expenses. If you can keep your costs down and under control, you will raise a larger amount - something everyone on your committee will be happy about.

Can you help me get media for my event? Can you send out a press release for me?

Unfortunately, Sunnybrook Foundation cannot promote or generate publicity for your event. The hospital contacts media for news about treatment, research and care initiatives only. We can provide an endorsement letter that validates the authenticity of your event and that indicates that its proceeds are designated for Sunnybrook.

Can you pay my event expenses or forward me money to pay expenses?

Sunnybrook Foundation cannot make any payments or provide any funds to cover your event.

I just completed my event. When do I need to send in the funds from my event?

We kindly ask all event organizers send in the funds within 60 days of the event taking place in order to ensure proper stewardship of your supporters. Additionally, under Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) guidelines, in order for funds to be eligible for income tax receipting in any given calendar year, Sunnybrook Foundation must either have received the gift by the last business day of December or the gift must be postmarked prior to December 31st.

I would like to run a raffle at my event. Do I need a license?

Gaming and lotteries including bingos, 50/50 draws, gambling, raffles or games of chance often have special considerations that require permits. Please visit for more information.

Legally, all raffles must be registered with your local municipality. There is a processing time of approximately 8-10 weeks to receive a raffle license and your prize cannot change afterwards. Sunnybrook Foundation will not apply for a raffle license unless the net proceeds to the Foundation will meet or exceed $50,000.

We recommend that instead, you hold a Promotional Draw. You can run a draw without acquiring a license, but you must offer the tickets for free, asking instead for a donation for the ticket.

Sunnybrook Foundation will not endorse/support or accept donations from events that are not able to be licensed, specifically, gaming events such as poker.

Tax Receipts

Can I offer tax receipts for my event?

Sunnybrook Foundation is proud to be a leader in fundraising in Canada and is committed to following all rules and regulations regarding tax receipting set out by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). This is also important to protecting our charitable status. It is very important that you understand the rules about tax receipts before you plan your event. Please read our tax receipting event guidelines.

If I receive a $10 donation, is it eligible for a tax receipt?

All financial donations for $20.00 or more will be automatically issued a tax receipt by Sunnybrook Foundation in the calendar year in which they are received. For all donations less than $20.00, you must request a tax receipt be issued from the Foundation.

I purchased an item through a silent auction at an event. Do I receive a tax receipt?

Purchases of live or silent auction items, raffle tickets, event admission tickets or green fees are not eligible for tax receipts. Sunnybrook Foundation can issue tax receipts only to individuals or organizations that make a donation without receiving any product or tangible item in return.

I was able to get a friend to design a website for my event for free and get free servers. Do they receive tax receipts?

 Tax receipts cannot be issued for the costs of a donated service. This includes but is not limited to special services that necessitate hiring someone/thing for an event (e.g. tent set-up, website creation, graphic design or entertainment). We can however issue a thank you letter to acknowledge the donated service.

How do I get tax receipts for my sponsors?

Sponsorships are not eligible for charitable tax receipts, as the sponsor receives advertising, marketing or promotional value and therefore the payment is not a gift. Instead, sponsors can receive a business acknowledgment letter for the value of their sponsorship which can be used to support business expenses.

I have art I would like to donate. Do I get a tax receipt?

Gifts of artwork, wine, collectibles, or items of a unique nature must be accompanied by a recent independent appraisal, regardless of value. Gifts of art donated by artists and art dealers are seen as disposition from their inventory and therefore are not eligible for tax receipts. Please read our tax receipting event guidelines.