Falls Prevention Program
The Falls Prevention Program is a branch of Specialized Geriatric Services, and a member of the Regional Geriatric Program of Toronto. Located in H-Wing, the program provides consultation with a geriatrician and physiotherapist to assess people over the age of 65 who are having falls or are at risk of falling. This six-week, group exercise program is designed to improve strenght, balance and gait, and is run by a registered physiotherapist. Education sessions include information about home safety, home exercises and safe medication practices.
What is the Falls Prevention Program?
- Consultation with a geriatrician, nurse, physiotherapist and occupational therapist
- A group exercise program designed to imrpove overall strength, balance and gait
- Home safety information session
- Home exercise information session
- A twice a week program for a period of 6 weeks
Who should attend?
- Anyone over the age of 65 who experiences falls, or is at a high risk for falls
- People who are able to safely take part in a supervised exercise program
- People who are able to walk 25 metres
Why should I attend?
- 1 in 3 seniors will suffer a fall this year
- Falls can result in serious injury and hospitalization
- Fear of falling can lead many seniors to withdraw from activities
- Many falls are preventable
- Intervention by a health care team has bene shown to reduce falls
How do I sign up?
Admission to the Falls Prevention Program requires a referral from a physician and an assessment by both a geriatrician and physiotherapist. For more information, please call 416-480-6888. If your doctor wishes to refer you to the program, ask them to call 416-480-6888.