Becoming a volunteer
Our goal is a mutually beneficial placement where volunteers help to enhance the care of our patients and have a meaningful experience.
Volunteer opportunities are available throughout all areas of Sunnybrook, including:
- Main hospital
- Veterans Centre
- Odette Cancer Centre
Holland Orthopaedic & Arthritic Centre:
- Yonge & Wellesley site
St. John's Rehab:
- Bayview & Cummer
Before you apply:
- Volunteering entails making a regular commitment. Minimum commitment is one 3 or 4 hour shift weekly for a minimum of 6 months to 1 year. Student placements during summer average a half-day shift, Mon. through Fri.
- Volunteers are selected and placed according to the needs of the hospital; interests and skills; availability and suitability. Evening and weekend opportunities are limited.
- Due to the number of applications, and limited positions, unfortunately not everyone who applies will be contacted for an interview.
- Volunteer opportunities for students are available during the summer between May to August and during the school year from Sept. to June. Minimum age requirement:
- Bayview and Holland sites 16 years and older
- St. John’s Rehab 14 years and older
- Volunteers enhance the patient experience; they do not replace or infringe on the work of paid staff or observe medical procedures.
What we're looking for
Our priority is to ensure a positive experience and great "customer service" for patients and visitors.
Volunteers should have:
- a caring, compassionate manner,
- excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- fluency in oral and written English
Important notices for...
Internationally educated professionals
If you are an internationally educated professional, please be aware that volunteering at Sunnybrook does not provide you with the opportunity to practice or gain experience within your specific profession. Volunteer roles do not include duties or responsibilities that are performed by a licensed or regulated profession (physician, physiotherapist, nurse, lab technician, etc.)
Others trained in healthcare fields
We also do not offer specific volunteer roles that provide the opportunity to practice skills of personal support workers and medical office assistants.
Those seeking employment at Sunnybrook
Volunteering at the hospital does not lead to paid employment. For employment opportunities, please visit the careers section of our website.
How to apply: St. John's Rehab site
Application and reference forms can also be found at the information desk in the main lobby of St. John's Rehab.
Please submit the application and reference forms to the information desk at St. John's Rehab. Your application will be placed on file. If a suitable position becomes available, you will be invited to attend an interview and a general hospital orientation.
For more information about volunteer opportunities, please contact the Coordinator of St. John's Rehab Volunteer Services at 416-226-6780 ext. 7013 or by email at email@example.com