Where can I volunteer:
We offer volunteer opportunities across all areas of the hospital, including:
- Bayview Site:
- Main hospital: inpatient and outpatient areas in acute care
- Veterans Centre: long-term care residence
- Odette Cancer Centre: regional outpatient cancer treatment facility
Holland Orthopaedic & Arthritic Centre:
- Yonge & Wellesley site
St. John's Rehab:
- inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation care
What you need to know
- Volunteers are expected to commit to one 3 or 4 hour shift weekly for a minimum of six months to one year, and we do our best to accommodate travel or vacation.
- Volunteers are placed according to the needs of the hospital; skills and interests; availability; and suitability. There are very limited evening and weekend opportunities.
- Volunteer roles enhance the patient experience. They do not replace or infringe on the work of paid staff.
- Not all applicants are accepted into our program. We will contact you ONLY if you are selected for an interview.
- If accepted, volunteers must complete a medical form and participate in training.
What we're looking for
- Our priority is to ensure a positive experience and great "customer service" for patients and visitors.
- Volunteers must have:
√ excellent interpersonal and communication skills,
√ fluency in oral and written English
Important notices for...
Internationally educated professionals
If you are an internationally educated professional, please be aware that volunteering at Sunnybrook does not provide you with the opportunity to practice or gain experience within your specific profession. Volunteer roles do not include duties or responsibilities that are performed by a licensed or regulated profession (physician, physiotherapist, nurse, lab technician, etc.)
Others trained in healthcare fields
We also do not offer specific volunteer roles that provide the opportunity to practice skills of personal support workers and medical office assistants.
Those seeking employment at Sunnybrook
Volunteering at the hospital does not lead to paid employment. For employment opportunities, please visit the careers section of our website.
Post-Secondary Students are welcome to apply to our Adult Program and/or the Summer Student Program. Simply indicate your availability on our application forms.
How to apply: St. John's Rehab site
Application and reference forms can also be found at the information desk in the main lobby of the St. John's Rehab site.
Please submit the application and reference forms to the information desk at the St. John's Rehab site. Your application will be placed on file. When a suitable position becomes available, you will be invited to attend an interview and a general hospital orientation.
For more information about volunteer opportunities, please contact Donna Alcock, Coordinator of St. John's Rehab Volunteer Services at 416-226-6780 ext. 7013 or by e-mail at email@example.com.