General volunteer program
What you need to know
Volunteering at Sunnybrook entails making a commitment. Before applying to volunteer, please consider the following to ensure you understand the role and requirements of volunteers.
» Show / hide the full list of requirements
- Volunteers are expected to commit to one three-hour shift weekly for a minimum of six months to one year. We're firm on commitment, but we can accommodate your travel or vacation plans.
- Not all applicants are accepted into our program. Volunteers are placed according to: the needs of the hospital; skills and interests; availability; and suitability.
- We will contact you ONLY if you are selected for an interview. We will keep your application on file for six months.
- Volunteer roles enhance the patient experience. They do not replace or infringe on the work of paid staff.
- If you are accepted, you must complete a medical form and participate in orientation and training.
What we're looking for
- Our priority is to ensure a positive experience and great "customer service" for patients and visitors.
- Volunteers must have:
√ excellent interpersonal and communication skills,
√ fluency in oral and written English
- Our greatest need for volunteers is weekdays during the day-time. Opportunities to volunteer evenings and weekends are limited to a few roles.
Important notices for...
Internationally educated professionals
If you are an internationally educated professional, please be aware that volunteering at Sunnybrook does not provide you with the opportunity to practice or gain experience within your specific profession. Volunteer roles do not include duties or responsibilities that are performed by a licensed or regulated profession (physician, physiotherapist, nurse, lab technician, etc.)
Others trained in healthcare fields
We also do not offer specific volunteer roles that provide the opportunity to practice skills of personal support workers and medical office assistants.
Those seeking employment at Sunnybrook
Volunteering at the hospital does not lead to paid employment. For employment opportunities, please visit the careers section of our website.
Post-Secondary Students are welcome to apply to our General Volunteer Program and/or the Summer Student Program. Simply indicate your availability on our application forms.
How to apply
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted within 3-4 weeks of receiving completed application packages - including the application form, 2 reference forms, and resume (optional). Applications are kept on file for six months.
Please download and complete the following forms:
- Application form: Complete fully.
- Two reference forms: References should know you for a minimum of one year and cannot be friends/family members. Suggested referees include employers, supervisors, coach, or teacher.
- Resume (optional): Include a copy with your application package.
Completed applications and references can be sent to:
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org using subject line VR-4129
Volunteer Resources Room E103
Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
2075 Bayview Ave
Toronto, ON M4N 3M5
If you are interested in becoming a volunteer at St. John's Rehab, please print and fill out an application form and two reference forms. Application and reference forms can also be found at the information desk in the main lobby of St. John's Rehab Hospital.
Please submit the application and reference forms to the information desk at St. John's Rehab Hospital. Your application will be placed on file. When a suitable position becomes available, you will be invited to attend an interview and a general hospital orientation.
For more information about volunteer opportunities, please contact Donna Alcock, Coordinator of St. John's Rehab Volunteer Services at 416-226-6780 ext. 7013 or by e-mail at email@example.com.