Marion C. Soloway Breast Rapid Diagnostic Unit (RDU)
Our clinic provides rapid assessment and diagnosis for individuals with an abnormality on a mammogram, breast ultrasound or a clinical finding that is highly suspicious of breast cancer.
The Breast Rapid Diagnostic Unit (RDU) also features a dedicated nurse navigator who guides and supports each individual through the assessment process.
Individuals also benefit from the combined expertise of the Odette Cancer Centre breast care team and other breast-dedicated specialists in the departments of medical imaging and anatomic pathology at Sunnybrook.
Physician referrals are required.
How the Breast Rapid Diagnostic Unit works
- A family physician (see our FAQ for physicians) can refer patients to the Breast Rapid Diagnostic Unit if the patient has an abnormality on a mammogram, breast ultrasound or a clinical finding that is highly suspicious of breast cancer.
- Once the referral has been received, the nurse navigator contacts the individual.
- Individuals meet with the nurse navigator at the Breast Rapid Diagnostic Unit and undergo assessment that includes a clinical breast exam. Individuals then get a state-of-the-art digital mammogram and ultrasound. Based on the results of these tests, they may receive further tests including an ultrasound-guided core biopsy and fine needle aspirate biopsy.
- Sunnybrook has two new rapid processors to facilitate pathological diagnoses, and the nurse navigator and the breast physician ensure concordance between imaging findings and final pathology.
- All individuals assessed are asked about breast cancer risk factors such as family history, and receive personalized screening recommendations.
- Individuals return the next day and meet with a breast physician to discuss their diagnosis and treatment options.
- Those who do not have a diagnosis of breast cancer but who may be at high risk are referred for genetic assessment and risk management in the high risk clinic.
- A note is sent back to the referring physician summarizing all findings and management recommendations.
Location and contact
Marion C. Soloway breast rapid diagnostic unit (RDU)
Louise Temerty Breast Cancer Centre
2075 Bayview Avenue,
M-wing, 6th floor
Toronto, ON M4N 3M5
Phone: 416-480-6100 ext. 85047 (Breast RDU nurse navigator)