Arthritis Aquatic Program
Our eight-week Arthritis Aquatic Program soothes arthritis-related pain and improves your mobility with full-body exercises in a warm water pool. Exercises are led by trained instructors and are recommended by the Arthritis Society.
Program cost: $100 per 8-week session. Fees do not include parking
Classes are held every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday in our state-of-the-art therapy pool located in the Horsfall Eaton Wing. Classes are 45 minutes long.
- Tuesday: 8:30 a.m. or 3:30 p.m.
- Wednesday: 11 a.m. or 2:30 p.m.
- Thursday: 8:30 a.m. or 3:30 p.m.
- Friday: 8:30 a.m.
Who can participate in the program?
Participants must have an arthritis-related disorder, be independently mobile and have a physician's consent.
Some examples include:
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Psoriatic Arthritis
- Improved mobility - by maintaining or restoring joint movement.
- Improved conditioning - by restoring muscle strength.
- Improved independence - by improving your physical fitness you are better able to independently carry out your activities of daily living.
- Improved sleep - regular exercise helps promote a more natural and restorative sleep.
- Improved sense of well being - through improved fitness and endurance.
- Stress Reduction - increasing the heart rate improves the natural painkillers in the blood.
- Peer Support - Exercising in a class with others coping with similar conditions helps refocus thoughts outward and away from pain.
How do I join?
If you would like to join our program, please print off and complete the forms below:
Application package (pdf)
Your application, signed doctor's referral and $100 payment can be mailed or dropped off at the Outpatient Office located on the main floor in the Horsfall Eaton wing, Monday - Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.
Please note that we require all four forms and payment in order to consider your application. For hospital visits less than 15 minutes, parking is free.
- The pool is located on the lower level of the Horsfall Eaton Wing.
- Water temperature is maintained at 33°-35°C (93°-95°F)
- The changing and shower areas are kept warm as well
- Please arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled class time. This will allow you time to change, shower and enter the pool area before your class begins.
- Please bring your own bathing suit, towel and refreshments.
- Consider wearing your bathing suit to the pool under your clothes. This will help you change quickly and safely. If you have pool shoes, they are helpful in keeping your balance, but not necessary.
- All exercises are performed with your feet firmly on the pool bottom. The water level goes from waist height to a maximum of five feet.
- The pool is accessible by stairs with railings, or a ramp. Balance bars are located on the sides of the pool.
- Maximum of 9 participants per class
Location and contact
Arthritis Aquatic Program
St. John's Rehab
285 Cummer Avenue,
Toronto, ON M2M 2G1
For referring organizations:
If you would like copies of our brochures for you and your patients, please fill out our Printed Material Request Form.