Research  >  Education & training  >  Settling in Toronto

Settling in Toronto

Settling in Toronto - Sunnybrook Research InstituteDetailed information for fellows and graduate students can be found on the University of Toronto's School of Graduate Studies web site. You can also check out Sunnybrook's medical student orientation guide for more information on Sunnybrook policies and services.

Finding an apartment

Visit the University of Toronto's housing web site for information on accommodation in Toronto. Other good sources for housing include ViewIt, Craigslist, and Kijiji.

Toronto is a vibrant, sprawling city with many neighbourhoods to choose from, and local websites like BlogTO or Toronto Life's Real Estate Guide can help you decide where you want to live.


Click here for a map of the Sunnybrook Campus

Social Insurance Number

To work in Canada, even temporarily, a social insurance number (SIN) is required. Information on how to get one can be found on the Service Canada web site. You may find Service Canada locations close to your home here.

Opening a bank account

A variety of financial services are offered by Sunnybrook Credit Union Limited, now a division of Meridian Credit Union, conveniently located at Sunnybrook, room CB 02. Details about how to become a member and more information are available at

Alternatively, to open a bank account elsewhere in Toronto, visit a local bank and present two pieces of identification such as a passport, driver's license or social insurance number. One piece of identification must have a photo.

Health care

All international postdoctoral trainees should visit the University of Toronto's postdoctoral office at the School of Graduate Studies to inquire about health care coverage. The office is located at 63 St. George Street, room 201.

Because there is a three-month waiting period for the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP), all international fellows are required to enroll in the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) for the first three months they are in Canada. However, if a fellow will not be here for more than six months, then they must purchase UHIP for the full six months.

Sunnybrook and social media

To get the latest Sunnybrook hospital and research news while you're off campus, follow us on:

Our social media policy can be found in full on the hospital intranet. Watch this short video for an overview of our guidelines