Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre’s eHealth initiative has recently made a service called MyChart™ available to Sunnybrook patients. MyChart™ (also known as the Continuity of Care Record system) streamlines the way health record information is delivered and exchanged between healthcare providers and patients at our hospital. Sunnybrook recognizes that patients are key stakeholders in the delivery of care, and this service empowers them to manage their health by putting the necessary information in their hands. It will also improve efficiency in the healthcare system by improving clinical workflow.
The following is a series of Q&As to provide you with a better understanding of MyChart™.
1. What is Sunnybrook’s MyChart™?
- My Chart is an online website where patients can create and manage their personal health information based on clinical and personal information.
2. Who has access to Sunnybrook’s MyChart™?
- Currently only Sunnybrook patients have access to MyChart™, but they can electronically grant access to family caregivers, hospital clinicians, primary care physicians, Community Care Access Centres (CCACs), and pharmacists.
3. How do patients access MyChart™?
- MyChart™ is accessible from anywhere at any time through the Internet. Once registration is complete users can go to www.mychart.ca and log in to review their medical records.
4. What do patients have access to through MyChart™?
- Personal and family health details (including allergies and current medications)
- Online appointment requests
- Online patient questionnaires
- Clinic visit notes
- Personal address book, compiled by the patients – physicians, caregivers, labs, clinics, etc.
- Personal diary
- Test results (ie. labs, CT and MRI reports) which are gathered from Sunnybrook’s Electronic Patient Record (EPR) system.
- Links to relevant disease-specific information and online events
- Personalized health information (eg. FAQs on procedures, etc)
5. How does MyChart™ receive its information?
- Patients enter their own personal information based on their knowledge
- MyChart™ displays test results directly from Sunnybrook’s Electronic Patient Record (EPR) system.
- Some test results might not be available until reviewed directly by physician due to sensitivity and timing of patient’s last visit
6. What departments at Sunnybrook are involved in MyChart™?
- MyChart™ is available to all interested hospital programs and community physicians’ offices.
7. How is the confidential patient information available through MyChart™ secured?
- MyChart™ is secured through the same encryption technologies used by the major banks for online banking.
8. How do patients begin using MyChart™ ?
- Patients will be required to obtain a PIN from Health Records in order to register an account. They can be obtained from any one of the following locations:
- Bayview Campus – Room E-123
- Bayview Campus – M-1 Reception Desk (located just before the gift shop at the main entrance)
- Odette Cancer Centre – Room T2-201
- Holland Centre – Room 260
- To create an account, please go to www.mychart.ca, select "Sign up for MyChart", and follow the instructions.