Trauma & Complex Rehabilitation
St. John's Rehab Hospital is recognized as a leader in specialized trauma rehabilitation as the major referral centre for regional trauma centres in the Greater Toronto Area. Our trauma rehabilitation program is one of Ontario's largest and most comprehensive specialized programs for individuals who have experienced traumatic injuries in the workplace, falls, automobile collisions, recreational/sports activities and other serious accidents.
Referrals & Admissions
Inpatient Referral Forms
Inpatient Admission Criteria
- Medically stable with no significant fluctuations in medical status within 72 hours.
- Motivated to participate in rehab, has active rehab goals, and is able to participate in two sessions of active rehab therapy five to seven days a week.
- Able to sit unsupported for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Patient's cognitive abilities and state of mental health support participation in active rehab.
- Non-weight bearing patients considered on a case-by-case basis.
Special needs accommodated (on a case-by-case basis) include the following:
- IV therapy (PICC and portacath only)
- Intermittent oxygen therapy/home oxygen
- Tracheotomy (must by corked)
- Intermittent tube feeds (PEG tube only)
Outpatient Referral Forms
Download our Outpatient Referral Form on our referral information page.
Please include all relevant medical/therapy reports with your application
Outpatient Admission Criteria
- Has active rehab goals and is able to participate and tolerate increasing amount of rehab therapy.
- Has adequate cognitive communication abilities for rehab.
- Has a reliable means of transportation.
Patients in our program often experience multi-functional impairments that have a high risk of partial or permanent participation restrictions in one or more dimensions of their lives. We address a broad range of client needs including physical, psychiatric, psychological, behavioural disorders and mild to moderate brain injury. Our expert medical specialists and rehabilitation professionals use a team-based approach to patient care to design individually customized rehabilitation plans in collaboration with patients and their families in order to achieve maximum quality of life and independence.
The hospital's complex rehabiliation program provides rehabilitation for patients recovering from complex medical conditions and/or surgical procedures resulting in prolonged hospital stays.
From the inpatient program, patients are referred immediately to either the hospital's outpatient program or a rehabilitation service within their community. Outpatient referrals are welcome from family physicians throughout the Greater Toronto Area.
St. John's Rehab at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre is the dedicated to specialized rehabilitation. We are recognized as a leader in specialized trauma rehabilitation and receive referrals from major trauma centres throughout the Greater Toronto Area.
- The trauma rehabilitation program is one of Ontario's largest and most comprehensive specialized programs for traumatic injuries in the workplace, falls, automobile collisions, recreational/sports activities and other serious accidents.
- Our Complex Rehabilitation program provides rehab following complex medical procedures with extensive post-operative recovery, such as orthopaedic reconstruction as a result of cancer surgery.
- The individually customized program consists of assessment, treatment and support focused on the whole person - body, mind and spirit.
- Our team of rehabilitation professionals develop realistic goals and timelines with each patient and keeps in close contact with the patient and their family. This helps achieve maximum recovery, independence and quality of life.
- Our highly skilled and committed multidisciplinary rehab team includes physiotherapists, occupational therapists, nurses, speech-language pathologists, pharmacists, physicians, dietitians, social workers, psychologists and spiritual care.
- Once discharged, patients can benefit from a seamless continuum of care by being referred to our outpatient rehabilitation program.
- We offer the specialized Back on Track Program for patients who have been in motor vehicle collisions or work-related accidents.
- Our strong referral partnerships with acute care hospitals and regional trauma centres in the GTA provide a smooth continuum of care to help patients reach their rehabilitation goals.
- As a teaching site of the University of Toronto, we excel in teaching and researching rehabilitation care.
- Patients can enjoy the hospital's 25 acres of beautifully landscaped gardens and pathways - a key element in their spiritual and emotional recovery.
Our trauma and complex care program patients
April 2014 - March 2015
- Inpatients admitted: 200
- Outpatient visits: 6,666
- Average active rehab length of stay: 28 days
- Average age of patients: 56 years old
- Patients aged 55 or older: 53 per cent
- Gender of patients: 60 per cent male, 40 per cent female
Ontario trauma facts
- The Ontario Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) received an estimated 296,000 workplace injury and disease claims in 2008. Of these claims:
- 2,404 were a result of multiple traumatic injuries
- 611 were crushing injuries
- 460 resulted in amputations.
- 91 fatality claims
Location and contact
Trauma & Complex Rehabilitation Program
St. John's Rehab
285 Cummer Avenue,
Toronto, ON M2M 2G1
Download our Trauma Rehabilitation program brochure (PDF, 1.3 MB)
For referring organizations:
If you would like copies of our brochures for you and your patients, please fill out our Printed Material Request Form.